Hello from Scotland!

Reaction score
Hi guys, my names Jordan, I'm 19 years old and from Scotland.

So why am I here?... Well, my dad split up with my mum last year and I no longer have any contact with him. Therefore I'm left with a huge pond with lots of fish in it. Now obviously I have no clue how filters work, how to clean them ect. And I have no clue on how to take care of the fish... But my main concern at the moment is the fact that you can't see anything due to the fact that the waters so green.

So I'm really here for knowledge and any general questions. I hope everyone can help me out cause as I said, I've been left with atleast a 5000 gallon pond with fish ranging from koi to sturgeon. The filters been off since the end of last summer roughly and my Dads been gone for about a year now, so I dont even know if they need any medical care, my mums been feeding them and she says they are still alive but we aren't going to know for sure whats in there until the water gets cleared.

I hope to see lots of friendly advice here because over the next few weeks I'll most probably be asking the most stupid questions. But if I'm going to take over this pond and convert it back to its old ways then this is what I feel is the best way. Also I feel it would be a good little project for you guys to watch.

So thanks so much for reading all this and I'd like to thank everyone who helps me along the way in advance. Jordan.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and sorry to hear about your mom and dad but I think we can help you with your pond questions .Oh my first thing is the filter and the pump need to be started up again .Filter will need to be checked and guessing it will need cleaned just to get it started back up .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums Jordan, great to have you here :wave:

So sorry to hear about your parents splitting up, mine split when I was 8. Hope you are doing ok xx

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
once you get everything running and get it some what clear let us know what you find and pics will really help if possible

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Jordan
Sorry to hear about the break up of your parents but hope we can help give you some good advice on getting your pond up and running and in good shape for your fishies :biggrin:

Reaction score
Sorry about your folks, but glad to have to here. Post as many pictures as you can. The more info we have, the more we are able to help. For green water, my first question is is there a Ultra Violet sterilizer/clarifier? If you dont know what a UV is, just do a websearch to see some pictures, so you know what you are looking for.

Reaction score
capewind said:
Sorry about your folks, but glad to have to here. Post as many pictures as you can. The more info we have, the more we are able to help. For green water, my first question is is there a Ultra Violet sterilizer/clarifier? If you dont know what a UV is, just do a websearch to see some pictures, so you know what you are looking for.
Yeah, I've heard of U.V cleaning. It breaks up the algae if im right in saying? Well I'm going to post pictures up on the pond showcase section so go for a little look if you like.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Welcome Jordan,

took a look but couldn't reply on pond showcase. Am by far no expert, but the pond looks like it was once very beautiful. I like it a lot. The filter, to me, looks big enough to handle the mess. I think some cleaning and some time and you will have a beauty..... Nice to have you aboard. Hope the folks here can be of more help than I. Some TLC will really make a difference. I Just love your pond. Water change and filter media cleaning I think is a good start. Change the water little by little though. 20-30% maybe to start? Good luck, can't wait to see more pictures in the future. :wave:

Reaction score
Shard MacD said:
Welcome Jordan,

took a look but couldn't reply on pond showcase. Am by far no expert, but the pond looks like it was once very beautiful. I like it a lot. The filter, to me, looks big enough to handle the mess. I think some cleaning and some time and you will have a beauty..... Nice to have you aboard. Hope the folks here can be of more help than I. Some TLC will really make a difference. I Just love your pond. Water change and filter media cleaning I think is a good start. Change the water little by little though. 20-30% maybe to start? Good luck, can't wait to see more pictures in the future. :wave:
Well it was nice when it was first done. But because nobody paid interest it just turned out the way it is now. But as I say, I'm going to work on it. It's actually something that I'm looking forward on doing cause its something I've always been intersted in, but never knowing when or where to start...... So got a little question. When you say change the water, do you mean take out about 20-30% then fill then take 20-30% back out, and keep going till it clears a bit? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
capewind said:
Oops read this question wrong. But nope I dont have one of them. I have only heard about them. My fish tank has a u.v light and I always wondered why it was a U.V and not a normal light, it makes sence now. Haha

Reaction score
Hi Jordan

Yes, in a way. Take out 20-30%, replace that with new water, then let it filter for a while 5-7 days. If all looks good, fish etc. do it again. Slow but sure. Also rinse your filter media, depending on the media. For instance, I have 2 filters, 1 has like foam disks, the other one has 'pads' which collect all kinds of stuff. They're not really foam though, ?. and both filters have bio-balls that I do not rinse. It looked like your filter had compartments holding some kind of media. I hope others chime in. This has helped me at times, also my one filter does have a UV light, great help last year and this year. Crossing my fingers....

Ask a Question