Hello from Shenandoah Valley :)

H

humbirdlover

Have been "lurking" for quite some time, and wanted to ask some questions, so joined :) I've had my pond for a couple years with lots of problems, and thought it was time to ask some pros. I have a approx 450 gallon pond with 7 goldfish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Oh my you are near my favorite place springdale water gardens .You are so lucky , :razz: oh welcome

H

humbirdlover

I am? LOL I thought the closest water garden place was Harper's in Harrisonburg. Where is Springdale? Oh and good to "see" another Virginian :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
340 Quarry lane greenville va .I have to travel but worth it they have a websight also just google springdale water gardens in va and sign up .They are really cheap my neighbor last time we went bought a waterfall weir and it was around 24 dollars

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I live closer to NC border than where you are but it is worth the trip .I first stop at concrete world near Lynchburg and then take the back way to springdale .

H

humbirdlover

I'll check out their website, thanks Looks like I need to find a profile pic. I have been coming in this forum and reading, trying to get my pond to where it looks decent and isn't so much work! I've been close to filling in the hole a couple times. Maybe I can find the answers in here.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well saw your post in colleens canada ponds and grasses are the way to go I planted them up near one of my waterfall filters in baskets and did they clean

I use plants in my filters also works great

H

humbirdlover

Thanks for the pics sissy, they look like just regular grasses? What do you have them planted in? I built a big bio filter last year, what a job! Went exactly by instructions, but it just didn't work.Took it apart, and just have the prefilter to my pump until yesterday. Got a small bio filter with UV now. So will see if that helps clear up my water. But it's ugly, so will have to make something to disguise it. I have it at the edge of the pond now, but would like to move it back into the flowerbed somewhere. Got to see if it's going to work first. But I'm excited about the grasses, just need to get some. Getting late in the season to start anything really.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Frogswelcomev.gif
to our group! I filter only with a bog, a big bog, but it works great. Lots of plants, no green water, no algae.

We will love to help you gets yours in better shape. Just love shenandoah valley, spent lots of time hiking camping down there in va.
love hummingbirds too!

H

humbirdlover

Wow sissy, that looks exactly like the filter I built, I even stacked the very same edgers around it, just like that. But I never could get it to work. Not re building that thing again, but glad yours is working for you. Got fingers crossed this Fish Mate works

H

humbirdlover

Aw, thanks for the welcome addy. Looks like I need to get a profile pic? Yes, love my humbirds! They will be going south before long, and will miss them, bad.:(

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I lived in arizona for years, one thing we got, which I loved, where hummingbirds. I would go though a large feeder of sugar water a day esp when they were migrating. Lots of different varieties, colors.

Here we have just the ruby throated, which are beautiful, but the only ones that come around. They must be getting ready to migrate, eating like little hogs. Ignored the feeder all summer, now I have to fill both each day.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a tank inside and a liner around it so if it does leak it flows right back into the pond .The liner is up around the sides and lays over one of the rows of retaining wall block .Still have lots of hummers here 4 feeders going and they are either close to empty or empty every day .I only fill them half way

Ask a Question