Hello from So Cal!

Reaction score
:banana:
I am new to this hobby. I have only had my pond up and running for about 2-3 months now. It is 100 gallons (preformed liner) I bought a pondmaster 1250pump-filter-fountain head kit. I have a small waterfall. I have about a dozen goldfish, 3 tadpoles, 2 chinese algae eaters, some aquatic snails (imported via 13 anarchis) LOL! Some water hyacynth (7) , 3 water lettuce, 3 water lilies, and a canna. I am totally addicted! I totally want to rip apart my yard and build a HUGE pond. But I can't bc of my children. (too young) I bought an underwater light from Beckett it is 20 watts. I am open to any ideas on improvement. I LOVE this stuff!:eek:

Reaction score
froggymomma said:
:eek:
I am new to this hobby. I have only had my pond up and running for about 2-3 months now. It is 100 gallons (preformed liner) I bought a pondmaster 1250pump-filter-fountain head kit. I have a small waterfall. I have about a dozen goldfish, 3 tadpoles, 2 chinese algae eaters, some aquatic snails (imported via 13 anarchis) LOL! Some water hyacynth (7) , 3 water lettuce, 3 water lilies, and a canna. I am totally addicted! I totally want to rip apart my yard and build a HUGE pond. But I can't bc of my children. (too young) I bought an underwater light from Beckett it is 20 watts. I am open to any ideas on improvement. I LOVE this stuff!:eek:

Hi and welcome.....................Its sounds a little bit crowded in there but ok. I did have a question. When you say chinese algae eater, did you mean chinese high fin shark? Regular chinese chinese algae eaters are not cold water fish and will not make it through the winter even in So. Cal Which BTW is where I live as well. A chinese high fin shark on the other hand is a cold water fish, but they grow extremely large (3 feet or more) and are endangered. I have one that was bred locally but its is in a 1000 gal pond. They do grow a little slow. As for the goldfish they are dirty fish meaning they produce a lot of waste and typically it would go like this. One fish for the first 20 gal. and then 1 for every 10 after that, so you, so you'd be stocked at about 9 with 100 gal with 2"-3" goldfish. One last thing. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle and Do you have a test kit for testing the water quality?.......................Good luck

Rick

Reaction score
Hey Froggymomma,
I also started, approx. 5 yrs ago, with a small preformed liner (the smallest they make!). My pond has increased in size at least once a year since then! Last year I hand dug my latest pond. It is approx. 1100 gal. and I'm still wanting bigger!!!!!! Best advice I have for you is to listen to the guys on here! They really are a helpful bunch!!!!
Good Luck!
Meekaboo

Reaction score
hockeyref88 said:
Hi and welcome.....................Its sounds a little bit crowded in there but ok. I did have a question. When you say chinese algae eater, did you mean chinese high fin shark? Regular chinese chinese algae eaters are not cold water fish and will not make it through the winter even in So. Cal Which BTW is where I live as well. A chinese high fin shark on the other hand is a cold water fish, but they grow extremely large (3 feet or more) and are endangered. I have one that was bred locally but its is in a 1000 gal pond. They do grow a little slow. As for the goldfish they are dirty fish meaning they produce a lot of waste and typically it would go like this. One fish for the first 20 gal. and then 1 for every 10 after that, so you, so you'd be stocked at about 9 with 100 gal with 2"-3" goldfish. One last thing. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle and Do you have a test kit for testing the water quality?.......................Good luck

Rick

Well it may be less gold fish since I have lost a few. It is hard to count them. The algae eaters are the common chinese ones from the aquarium supply store. I bought them to see if they'd help control the algae this summer. I failed to mention I have a 55 gallon aquarium in my living room that I could always toss them into when it starts getting cold.I aso bought an extra submersible aquarium heater I was thinking about using since my pond is so small. What do you think?
Thanks for your tips and replies!

I do need to buy the test kit. I keep forgetting...I get so excited with the plants. Thanks for the reminder!

Attachments

• chinalgaeater.jpg
    chinalgaeater.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 315
Reaction score
Meekaboo said:
Hey Froggymomma,
I also started, approx. 5 yrs ago, with a small preformed liner (the smallest they make!). My pond has increased in size at least once a year since then! Last year I hand dug my latest pond. It is approx. 1100 gal. and I'm still wanting bigger!!!!!! Best advice I have for you is to listen to the guys on here! They really are a helpful bunch!!!!
Good Luck!
Meekaboo

YAY! Thanks! I am totally eager to hear any and all words of wisdom!!! This is such an addicting hobby I guess it is a little too easy to go overboard! LOL!

How cool is that! (That you were able to dig a larger pond!) I'd love to see pics of it! Are they any already here? Or can you post some?
Thanks again!

Oha nd I love your user id "meekaboo" LOL! :eek:

Reaction score
froggymomma said:
Well it may be less gold fish since I have lost a few. It is hard to count them. The algae eaters are the common chinese ones from the aquarium supply store. I bought them to see if they'd help control the algae this summer. I failed to mention I have a 55 gallon aquarium in my living room that I could always toss them into when it starts getting cold.I aso bought an extra submersible aquarium heater I was thinking about using since my pond is so small. What do you think?
Thanks for your tips and replies!

I do need to buy the test kit. I keep forgetting...I get so excited with the plants. Thanks for the reminder!

If you have an aquarium you can use the test kit you have from that for the pond too if you have one. I used an aquarium heater in my small pond in my front yard for a winter once before. I would probably get 2 300 watt heaters at least. They work good indoors but outdoors in the ground 2 would be needed. Of course that would only be if you are planning on keeping the chinese fish in there all winter. Is your pond in direct sunlight?? If so you could always by a shade or umbrella to help shade it and help control algae and temp of the water.:eek:

Rick

Reaction score
Hockeyref88,

Oh !!!! Good idea on aquarium test kit.....Thanks!

My pond is partly shaded. During the day different sides are shaded depending on the time of day. The umbrella is a good idea though! Hmmmmm........Thanks!

Do you know anything about lighting? I bought a pond light last night. I was wondering if you have any tips or advice? Is your pond lit?
Thanks again!
Froggymomma

Reaction score
Yes my pond is lit. I have a little 3 light 10 watt each kit. Not much to it. Just position where you like it. Mine has a solar detection built in so come on at dusk and goes off at sunrise. As I recall you have a hardshell liner so you really got no worries. The lites do get pretty warm and if you had a soft liner I would say to be careful of placement but with a hard shell you can put anywhere.

Rick

Reaction score
Do you mind if I ask what brand you bought? I was looking at the Laguna set of 3 10 watt lights with transformer included but, it is so inexpensive I am not too sure about the quality...kwim?
thanks!

Reaction score
hockeyref88 said:
Yeah I believe it was Laguna............I bought it at lowes. It was the only one they stock.

Wow! Great! I have been asking everyone and nobody seems to have it. I am wondering how well you like it? Does it light up your pond pretty well? How long have you had it? (if of course you don't mind me asking?) I saw they carry it at Petsmart.com and since they offer free shipping and online discounts I was sold until I read the one and only customer rating. It gave a negative review but it seemed like such a good deal. KWIM?

Do you have any pics?

Thanks so much! I hope you don't mind my one BILLION questions. As you can tell I am new at this.

Thanks!
Froggymomma:goldfish:

Reaction score
froggymomma said:
Wow! Great! I have been asking everyone and nobody seems to have it. I am wondering how well you like it? Does it light up your pond pretty well? How long have you had it? (if of course you don't mind me asking?) I saw they carry it at Petsmart.com and since they offer free shipping and online discounts I was sold until I read the one and only customer rating. It gave a negative review but it seemed like such a good deal. KWIM?

Do you have any pics?

Thanks so much! I hope you don't mind my one BILLION questions. As you can tell I am new at this.

Thanks!
Froggymomma:goldfish:

I have not taken a pic of my pond at night yet as I only put the light kit in last weekend but I will soon. Here's a pic pond from last week and a couple from before that.

View attachment 81

View attachment 82

View attachment 83

Rick

Attachments

• 2008_0506Koi0018.JPG
    2008_0506Koi0018.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 353
  • 2008_0315kenssiding30014.JPG
    2008_0315kenssiding30014.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 328
  • Ricks Koi Pond.JPG
    Ricks Koi Pond.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 362
Reaction score
froglover said:
Froggymomma

What part of So Cal are you in. I am from Riverside California.

Carolyn

Hi Froglover!

I am in Santa Monica. Wow! From what I can see in your pic your pond looks AWESOME!

angela:goldfish:

Ask a Question