Hello From South Dakota

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have been reading this site for a long time but never posted..
I am from Pierre, SD. I grew up with a pond as my mother always had one, so I wanted one of my own.

So when my Husband & I bought a place in the country He hand dug me one that has
been going for the last 4 years 15'x19' > deepest point is just at 3'. kind of a butterfly shape,
Lots of plants in the summer with two waterfalls and a shallow bog area &
a bridge going acroos the middle of the pond, Cattails border some of the sides just tucked in
the rocks, they are on top the liner so I can thin them out..

I am looking to build a bigger one, as my koi have spawned the last two years.
I have 19 babies from last years spawn. The babies from last year are in my
livingroom in a 150 stock tank with plants.

All of the 8 Largest koi I have, I raised from Fry that just hatched, They are all are about 15-18".
All are tame and I can pretty much pick them up by hand if I want. I also have 17 others that I have purchased
the last couple of years They are all running around 6-12". So I am needing a new pond.

Every Fall I have to catch & move the big koi. Into a 12ft x30" deep pool set up in my basement.
I hate doing this, So I am looking to build a rather large
pond just off the current one so I will not have to move them in for the SD Winters..

We have one measured out at 25'X35'x 6' deep. Hoping at the 6' depth I will not have to move them in, in the winters.
We are currently getting ready to build the DIY stock tank filter for the "New Pond"
Sorry for the long intro, I just thought I'd give everyone an insite as to me & my koi.
Thanks,
Lesa

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
wspider02.gif
Lesa
Great plan on building that huge pond for your koi. 6' deep sounds good to me but we don't get as cold as you do so hope someone w/ chilly winters will be able to tell you if that's deep enough.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcomefromgang4.gif
Glad you joined!

That will be one nice sized pond, post some pictures from bare ground and on when you start your dig

Reaction score
Thanks Guys, I sure will post the progress. I took all kinds of pics of the other pond build too..
After reading this afternoon on here I am wondering if a bog filter would be the way to go? I am thinking as I am building the
new pond why not add the bog area, better to do it before hand then decided afterwards I want it..
Idea's idea's. Hubby will kill me.. Lol Last time I went from a 50 gallons tub to my current pond.. I asked him how big can I make it,
his response was I dont care, well now this time HE decided to lay out the Size..Lol.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and being that deep if you get a pond heater it will keep an opening in the ice should help also in the winter .

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum. Would love to see pictures of your pond and fish! :goldfish:

Ask a Question