Hello From South Florida

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
When we bought our house there was already a pond. If there hadn't been one I really don't think we would have put one in since we have a reef tank and to many other things to keep up with. The pond is about 750+ gallons.

I have always kept it somewhat kind of sterile looking except for when I didn't. At one point it had gotten a bit green (ok, really green) and the new pool guy decided to take care of it for us. Our regular pool service decided to go completely commercial so we went with the one he recommended. The new idiot (I normally don't call people names, but...) decided to dump a jug of chlorine in and put a chlorine tablet on the waterfall. He was hired to only take care of the pool, but I guess he thought he was helping us out. By the time Mike saw him walking back to the pool it was to late. I had 8 koi that I raised from about 2" - 3" to over 8". I still get mad to this day. My poor fishes may they rest in peace. I just hope they died fast and didn't suffer to much, but I doubt it.

After that we just left it empty. Now I want to get it going again so I joined this forum. We were going to wait till fall/winter to make some changes because of all the rain we have, but I want to at least get it going for now. It needs to be repainted, a few hairline cracks patched (not sure if they leak), probably a new filter and possibly redo the plumbing. After reading on here I'm now considering putting a small bog on it. Most likely a preformed one if I can find one I like. I also need to find a small fountain/shower head. We had a nice one, but the wind was always blowing to much water out. Mike put the pvc thing there until I order something that doesn't shoot water up so high

Originally the pond was shallow. Where you see the shelf that was the depth of it. There was also a big bottle brush tree at the end. There was a big root that was growing along the side and was lifting it up. Although it was a beautiful tree I always hated it. Every other day I had to scoop all of the leaves out or the water would be very brown.

One time Mike had to go to California for his 2 weeks reserve training so I decided to do something about the tree. Had it cut down and I started digging the big root out. Since the pond was crooked and needed to be leveled I decided it was time to do something about the depth. What else could I do, but take an axe to it. I chopped out a lot of what I wanted and left the rest. Mike came home and realized he was in for some work. He finished cutting the bottom out with a saw and leveled the pond. He then had to make the bottom and the sides and repaint it. He then built a gazebo at one end since I had taken away all of the shade.

Before there was chatahootchy gravel around the pond with it's matching bridge. Bridge is still there, but I dug out all of the pebbles. What a pain since there wasn't any weed block down and we then put shells all around it. Later we took out some of the shells (thank goodness for weed block) and replaced it with blue glass. There is one section of shells left which I think we will also change to the glass. At the end under the gazebo is where I think we will put a small bog. I'm also thinking of covering the cement edge with some sort of rock, but I'm not sure which kind. I might just put some plants around there to help hide it.

Last week I put a few koi in and a neighbor gave me some plants. Since the picture was taken they have now started to grow upright. I have a few small water lilies that I bought at Lowe's not to long ago. They have been in little plastic tubs growing so I need to pot them up and put them in. This time I want to have more plants than before. I have also read about what people say about koi and pond size. I also had originally planned to put goldfish in, but haven't bought any yet. I need to set up a quarantine tank, since they always have something on them from the pet store and will need to be medicated.

Any suggestions on what else I can do?

Attachments

• 20200727_181430.jpg
    20200727_181430.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 20200727_180126.jpg
    20200727_180126.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 20200727_180038.jpg
    20200727_180038.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 20200727_180023.jpg
    20200727_180023.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 20200727_175804.jpg
    20200727_175804.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 20200727_175644.jpg
    20200727_175644.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 84

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum! I would add more plants.

Hard to tell, how many gallons is your pond? You might want to skip on adding goldfish since you already have some koi.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! Would it be possible to ask specific questions in one or two sentences? It would really help. Again, glad you joined.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum! I would add more plants.

Hard to tell, how many gallons is your pond? You might want to skip on adding goldfish since you already have some koi.
We didn't use the best method when we came up with how many gallons it is, but iirc it was around 775. We didn't use the best method, but it was good enough for us at the time. That was over 23 years ago. When we redo it later we will buy a water flow meter attachment to get a better idea.

I ordered cat litter from Walmart and will pick it up tomorrow so I can pot up my lilies and get those in there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! Would it be possible to ask specific questions in one or two sentences? It would really help. Again, glad you joined.
I'm thinking of getting a different filter for it. I would love a diatomaceous earth filter like we have on our pool. I haven't read anyone on here mentioning they have one so maybe it's not a thing. Should I just keep the one I have and do a bog to keep the water clear?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is a unique shape, and I love the bridge — gives me ideas!

If you’re thinking that it’s under 1000 gallons, then I would not get koi. Stick with goldfish. Koi grow very fast, and will soon outgrow not only the pond, but the bio-filtration as well.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You would love Shubunkin goldfish:
Here is a sample of a few. They come in all different patterns and colors. There are also other kinds of goldfish that come in yellow, white oj/white etc.

Shubunkins:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is a unique shape, and I love the bridge — gives me ideas!

If you’re thinking that it’s under 1000 gallons, then I would not get koi. Stick with goldfish. Koi grow very fast, and will soon outgrow not only the pond, but the bio-filtration as well.
The pond is over 750 gallons.

You would love Shubunkin goldfish:
Here is a sample of a few. They come in all different patterns and colors. There are also other kinds of goldfish that come in yellow, white oj/white, etc.
I have already put some small koi in there last week and the plan was to add some goldfish. Where do you get the Shubunkin fish from. The pet stores or do you order them? Those are really pretty fish. When the koi get to big I have a friend who has a 3000 gallon pond that can take them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Even in a 3000 gal pond your friend could only have about 3 koi and nothing else. Pet stores have Shubunkins and if you live somewhere where there is a pond store that sells all kinds of pond fish that would be nice. Yes you can order them too. I just got mine at Petsmart on sale one year.I mostly just have orange regular goldfish tho.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
That's a really nice looking pond and surrounding landscaping!

Your water looks nice and clear, so just keep using what ever it is your are filtering it with.

It's a good that you are considering a bog for filtering. I can attest to how effective and low maintenance they are. If you decide to go that route, there are many threads here on the subject.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Even in a 3000 gal pond your friend could only have about 3 koi and nothing else. Pet stores have Shubunkins and if you live somewhere where there is a pond store that sells all kinds of pond fish that would be nice. Yes you can order them too. I just got mine at Petsmart on sale one year.I mostly just have orange regular goldfish tho.
Why would you say such a thing? You don't know what his filtration system is like. This reminds me of the tang police on Reef Central. If anyone from here is on there they would know what I'm talking about.

Ask a Question