Hello from South Louisiana

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Hey everyone, I have been lurking in this forum for a few weeks and have learned a lot of useful information, and knew this was a good community to join.

I have had a 50 gallon planted aquarium for 10 years until we moved a few months ago, and decided it was time to build a pond since I had a bigger yard to play in, and permission from my wife. So I built a small 350 gallon pond with waterfall that my wife and I have been enjoying going to in the evenings when it is not so hot. Right from the beginning the frogs Loved it. I never knew there were so many frogs around here. They had a party :beerchug: , croaked every night for a week, and then left behind hundreds of tadpoles for us to raise(deadbeats). So besides tadpoles, I have 2 Shubunkins(eventually will have 5), la iris, 28 bunches of Anaracharis, and a hardy lily starting to send up lilies. The water is green, full sun all day, but I know in time it should balance itself out since I have added plants. Also using my UV sterlizer from my old aquarium which is helping. I want it more planted than anything, so I have a small 5 gallon DIY skippy filter built just for a little filtration. Also in the fall, when it is cooler, I might re build the waterfall and add the filter into it.

That's about it, and hope to continue to learn here, and getting to know others here.

Here is a pic after I finished building. No plants in this picture.

Attachments

• 7 Complete.jpg
    7 Complete.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 312

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard neighbor. Nice looking pond! If you need more plants for the pond I can help you get starts. Have all kinds to chose from.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Hey Fishin4cars, and thanks for the welcome. It is good to see someone who lives close by on this forum. I can always use help getting started with plants since they are expensive and seem hard to find around here. I will gladly come by and visit sometime, and would love to check out your 9 ponds. I am always happy to learn from more experienced ponders.

Here is a picture of my pond this morning showing the sparse plantings that I have.

June 29 2013.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and it looks bigger than 350 gallons .Glad you got permission from your wife and guessing she is glad she gave permission .The plants will get bigger and the fish will have babies and then you will go bigger ,seems to happen on here alot :cheerful: :cheerful:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Hello Minnowman and TurtleMommy!! Always good to see other locals here. Good to know others who know how hot our summers are here. Any advice on types of plants to put around the borders of my pond and on the water surface? Or should I ask that on another part of the forums?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
SouthernCross said:
Hello Minnowman and TurtleMommy!! Always good to see other locals here. Good to know others who know how hot our summers are here. Any advice on types of plants to put around the borders of my pond and on the water surface? Or should I ask that on another part of the forums?
Where to post? Either-or is just fine.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was down that way just last month, to get some fish from Larkin. He told me about a place in Port Allen (are we allowed to mention names??) called ORNAMENTAL POND FISH http://www.ornamentalpondfish.com/about-us.html. You probably already know about them, but being from "up north," was new to me. It's a breeding facility. I bought some Shubunkins and 2 fantails while I was there. Beautiful fish! Prettier body & fin shapes (and colors, as well) than anything I've seen in pet stores! Have had mine just a month but would swear they've doubled in size, or at least are overtaking other fish that have been in the pond for a year -- that tells me they are healthy & have good genes!

Check the site. During the week they are closed to the public, so you have to make an appointment to visit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Hey Don't ask, and nice to meet you. Yes there are some great people around here, and all over from what I have seen :cheerful: .

Thank you for the link TurtleMommy. Still new to the hobby and do not know all of the stores here for pond supplies and fish. I never heard of Ornamental Pond Fish before, but they are just across the river from me. I only wanted 5 fish in my 350 gallon pond, and I finished stocking it yesterday with Shubunkins. Now that I know about Ornamental Pond Fish, I will have to go and check it out.

Here are my Shubunkins(1 is hidden behind the leaf on the left). They usually stay towards the bottom, but already are coming up to the top when I come to the side of the pond.

Attachments

• 2013-06-30_12-56-52_462.jpg
    2013-06-30_12-56-52_462.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 232
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Hey Howard and nice to meet you! I am not in a panic now, but who knows what will happen tomorrow :bye2: . Another good reason to join a community where there are lots of experienced members who can help us newbies not be newbies.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
SC, I've come to the conclusion that you're never NOT a newbie! As anyone on here will attest, you're always learning, just that some are a little higher up the ladder. LOL!

Ask a Question