Hello from southern California

Reaction score
Hello, my name is James and I live in southern California. My hobbies include fishkeeping, gardening and companion birds, If I didn't have a feathered friend perched on my shoulder giving me her view on how to do it right the first time it might take a lot of the fun out of it. I have an 8' freshwater aquarium in my bedroom and a backyard fishpond. I am currently in the process of getting back into these things as a series of events put a bit of a damper on things, the pond, which is the 3rd one I have set up is full of lilies and a variety of pond plants and even a few experiments, I found that when properly supported, Saint Augustine makes an interesting addition to the pond, it has almost become a small bush with each blade of grass currently about 10" long, on the other hand I suppose if I quit using the lawn mower I might get the same results on the lawn. Any way a few years ago we had a storm off the coast and it brought a lot of big fish eating gulls or herons inland and as I was standing there in horror those little monsters ate all of the big shubunkins and sarrassas before I had a chance to get something to smack at them with, now I have about 20 or so goldfish left that are at best, 8" long. Then just a few months later in an unfortunate accident I killed my sun conure and that just took all the wind out of my sails! I am mostly past it, I no longer cry over it, but the guilt pops up from time to time. I was recently reminded about the lady I got her from so I will be getting another bird soon!. Then my largemouth bass died of an infection, so I emptied the aquarium for an upgrade to the wet /dry filter set up and that is going a bit on the slow side. After a little clean up and maintenance I will post some pictures of my arrangements but after seeing that amazing set up from Francois it may be a little while. Well friends, I'm sure I took too much of your time already, so I will say bye for now,James.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and you have been through a lot ,sorry top\ hear about the lose of your fish and your birdie friend .Seems like a lot of stuff coming all at once

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Hello, my name is Dr. Sir John Huff. Friends call me Dr. Sir John Huff. Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about the passing of your fishy friends. Looking forward to seeing pics of your setup. If you live anywhere near fishy eating avians, I think a net is a must! Cheers, Dr. Sir John Huff

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
James
Nice to have you here and sorry about all the stuff going bad for you lately :(

Reaction score
Welcome! I'm new too, but feel so welcome I'm all over this forum now. I hope you feel the same. St. Augustine! Please do tell more on how you have that set up. I live on a small island, pond plants are not plentiful, therefore I am always looking for something to try. Snacks for my koi, I guess.

So sorry for your loses. I lost 11 goldfish in one heron visit. Very sad, as I name my fish.

I love birds too.

I am considering adding a few love birds next to my pond in a cage. There is a guy here selling them for $15 for four, so I can only guess they breed easily.

I am setting up some sugar water next to the pond for the banana quids and some seeds for the larger birds. I currently have some woodpeckers in the trees around the pond, a white owl (only see him at night), some banana quids and black birds (and a stinking heron that comes by every now and again).

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forums! I can't wait to see the photos of your pond.

& I'm sorry to hear about your losses, but since we can't go back in time, looking forward is always best. I unfortunately lost my dog, cat, and bird in the last three years, all of them being around for a large chunk of my life. I feel they lived good lives while they were around and I'm glad about that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome aboard!

If I didn't have a feathered friend perched on my shoulder giving me her view on how to do it right the first time it might take a lot of the fun out of it.

Come on out with it, you're a pirate aren't you?! :jimlad: ;)

Ask a Question