Hello from sunny ARIZONA !!

Reaction score
Hi fellow ponders, my name is Frank and I am totally new to ponds and getting ready to build my first one ever. I love water, fish, plants etc and have the space in my backyard for one. I plan on building about a 10' x 15' pond is the preliminary size for right now. Not sure if I should make it smaller being its my first time.I have cleared the area of loose rocks and outlined the pond to be with a garden hose to get an idea if I need to cut it down in size/change the shape of it entirely etc. Any and all advice, help, suggestions will be greatly appreciated since this is my first pond and I want to make it an enjoyable one with your guys knowledge and experiences. I have some pics I wish to share with you and let me know what you think. Thanks ahead of time,

y2kdejesus

Attachments

• forum1.jpg
    forum1.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 317
  • forum3.jpg
    forum3.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 299
  • forum2.jpg
    forum2.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 322

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, there are some great threads that you might want to read regarding filters in both the DIY and construction Forums that you may want to read if your still looking to figure out what filter you want to us. If you have any questions feel free to throw a Thread up in the applicable forum and I am sure you will get lots of help, I know I have. And again, Welcome.

Reaction score
Just a lil tidbit I've read on other forums is that if you reside in Az. you are allowed a certain amount of free rock a year due to the fact that there is such an abundance. I'd look into that, we spent over well over $1000 just in rock to finish ours off. Good luck on your ponding excursion, you'll be addicted for sure.

Reaction score
Can you send some of that sun my way........Looks like you have a good handle on things. There are plenty of people on this forum willing help with any questions you may have along the way to building your own oasis....

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum, looks like you might have some drainage problems when it rains. I would plan for a runoff, away from the pond or when it does rain there, you will have problems.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
hello and welcome to the group... you definately have a nice yard for a pond.. good luck, and were here to help
Thanks Koiguy, I will probably start this weekend. The ground is hard clay soil and sure makes it alittle difficult at times. Its going to be 110 degrees today so if you need any sun your way I can sure send you plenty. Later,

y2k

Reaction score
karenskoipond said:
Just a lil tidbit I've read on other forums is that if you reside in Az. you are allowed a certain amount of free rock a year due to the fact that there is such an abundance. I'd look into that, we spent over well over $1000 just in rock to finish ours off. Good luck on your ponding excursion, you'll be addicted for sure.
Thanks Karen, Yeah I will for sure look into that free rock thing. I have gathered up some rocks already on my own but I can use some more being that I would like to have a waterfall added to this pond. Anything I can get for free can go towards the building of this pond, Thanks.

y2k

Reaction score
MassKoi said:
Can you send some of that sun my way........Looks like you have a good handle on things. There are plenty of people on this forum willing help with any questions you may have along the way to building your own oasis....
Hey masskoi,

Oh yeah being a newbie to this I will definitely be needing and asking for alot of advice. Dont want to do things twice over if I dont have to. Looking forward to hearing from you guys again, Thanks

y2k

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Welcome to the Forum, looks like you might have some drainage problems when it rains. I would plan for a runoff, away from the pond or when it does rain there, you will have problems.
Hey DrDave,

You know I was thinking the same thing. When it rains here forget it. Being that I have no grass or landscaping yet it gets really muddy and wet back there. Also the Monsoons will be here pretty soon. I will for sure have to put in a runoff area somewhere close, Thanks

y2k

Reaction score
FredrikAnderson said:
Welcome aboard, there are some great threads that you might want to read regarding filters in both the DIY and construction Forums that you may want to read if your still looking to figure out what filter you want to us. If you have any questions feel free to throw a Thread up in the applicable forum and I am sure you will get lots of help, I know I have. And again, Welcome.
I look forward to posting alot of questions on the construction & DIY forums for sure. I am new to all this but I am a quick learner and take my time doing things. So I hope it all works for me and will post new pics along the way, Thanks.

y2k

Ask a Question