Hello from Syracuse NY

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone! My name is Steve and I just started digging my pond yesterday. My goal is to have a circular pond 10' X 10' x 2'. I want to have goldfish in my pond. I plan to have a nice waterfall running into it. I have owned aquariums in the past so I am familiar with water testing. This is my first pond and I am excited.

I thought of doing Koi but I hear you need the pond to be 3-4' deep and the cost of filtration will be more. I am hoping to learn from this group so I make the right choices when it comes to fish, filters and pumps.

I have attached a picture of what I accomplished yesterday. I will need a few more days of digging to get it 2' deep. Still wondering if I should have done shelf's and how the bottom should be (flat or curved). Any advice?

Attachments

• 20190519_143035.jpg
    20190519_143035.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 150
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome . The depth is based on how deep things freeze, most folks go for 3 ft as that gives plenty of space to avoid freezing the fish in winter. Seeing as you are in ny, you might think about that as well. Especially with the polar vortex issues we’ve had this winter. Before you put your liner in, find out how deep the ice can get. You’ll want your water deeper than that. Down in the south, we dig it deep for summer, so the fish will have cooler water to seek relief from the heat.
Shelves are good to have, providing places for plant pots, and on the off chance something gets in ( a cat, opossums, etc) they have a better chance of not drowning if there are shallow shelves, plus less chance of them tearing the liner trying to get out. It works as steps for humans who need to get in to catch the fish too!
Welcome, and read over the various articles, find info that will help you, and information you need to know. Ask lots of questions, there are many here with answers. This is a very friendly forum.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum and happy digging!
smdigging.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! We will love to help you build! Start a construction thread in the construction area of the forum. We can than follow along easily.

Ask a Question