Hello from the big island of Hawaii!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone my name s AJ and my amazing wife and I have recently moved to our 10 acre ranch on big island. About two acres are landscaped with some amazing and incredibly rare plants. Most amazing are the ponds.

The first four ponds are for the koi and are connected by a small stream between them when it rains. The first pond is the shallowest and has the most koi. They seem to breed like mad in that first pond, it's crazy as there must be over fifty of them in that pond alone! They are smaller then the koi n the other three ponds.

The second pond has three koi of smaller size and I think one may have died as the little guy was there and then I lost site of him or her. This pond is deeper then the first and I can't see the bottom.

The third pond has three koi as well with a mighty impressive specimen we call ghost. Ghost is easily eighteen inches long and he has two far smaller koi with him. This pond is also too deep to see the bottom.

The fourth pond has nine koi in it and is by far the deepest of the four. They are all about the same size at nine inches or so. They are super active as are the others but seem a little more friendly. They come right up to us when we feed them. This pond is really deep and is at eight feet in some places.

The fifth pond is full of tilapia, LOTS OF THEM!!! There are easily over a thousand fish and I think personally close to two thousand. I don't eat them nor does my wife. They are completely self sufficient and I NEVER have to clean the pond because they eat EVERYTHING that falls is, bugs, plants, people (I kid lol). There is a small deck you can sit out on and it is amazing to watch them come right up when we feed them. There are some big monsters in there too!

To be honest my wife and I up and moved here to our home about three months ago. We had no previous experience with fish or ponds or all of the work that goes on to mak the place what it is. It's been an incredibly fun journey so far.

I have come here to learn everything that I can to make our fish happy, healthy and live nice long lives. I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the holiday season.

Peace and love,
AJ

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Add some pictures when you have time. Would love to see your setup

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh my, so many ponds! Please post some pictures. Welcome!

Ask a Question