Hello from the High Desert - Long Post Lots of Pics :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hello fellow garden ponders! I joined this website because it seems to have the topics I am looking for and because it seems to have more attendance than the other pond forums I visit.

*Disclosure: I am new to ponding so as you read this please tell me if I am up in the night about anything :redface: I appreciate all the information I can get.

I live in Salt Lake Valley UT and according to the NEW USDA Zone map am now a zone 7!!! Yay!!!

I am an obsessive gardener and ponder. I spend every minute I can outside once temps are above 50 degrees and until temps reach that high I am inside researching plants and pond stuff. I absolutely love it. I find it to be a sort of meditation when I am out in the yard playing in the dirt :razz: I prefer to do things myself if I can physically do it and if not I ask my DH to help. But I hate the idea of hiring anyone to do something that I feel I could do just as well for less money.

I have been gardening for many years and always wanted a pond. Last spring I talked my DH into digging me one. It was completed in June of last year. This is my first winter and first spring so as you can imagine I have been full of questions.

My pond is a 5000 gallon oval shape with planting shelves. The deepest part is 3 feet and the shelves drop a foot each. Average depth is probably 2 feet. It measures 17 feet by 24 feet. The only money I spent was on the liner, pump, hoses, fish and plants. Luckily the desert is very close and has an abundance of rocks so a few trips out took care of the rocks I needed.

My pond worked out swimmingly last year :razz: I designed it as a garden pond with plants and comets. It has one 6000 GPH pump that feeds two pools that run into a small waterfall. Other than that there is no other equipment in the pond. I had green water for a brief time but that was it. I put 150 anacharis in it last year for filtration and about 8 potted plants, 3 lilies and about 30 WH. I purchased 14, 8 inch Comets (one of which was eaten by a wild animal, found it's bones about 100 feet away in our food garden) and they had at a lot of babies at least 25 of which are still alive and getting big (about 2 inches long). I have never fed the fish.

I knew last year for proper filtration I should have used about 400 bunches of anacharis so this year I started pricing it and found it would cost about 400-600 dollars!!! So I decided instead to create two skippy filters (two because the pond is too large for one). I just purchased a 100 gallon and 70 gallon stock tank today. I plan on removing the back side of the waterfall and pools and installing them behind it. Then they can flow into the pools and down the falls.

I will still buy some anacharis but wont worry about buying as many and still get some WH and other decorative plants.

Well now for the pictures :razz: We bought our house in June 2008 and yard left much to be desired. But since I love gardening I looked at is as a blank slate that I could do whatever I want with.

So here it is in July 2008
k98002.jpg

k98004.jpg

July 2010

DSCN0346.jpg

And here is the evolution of the pond:

DSCN0754.jpg

Roofing felt

DSCN0755.jpg

Liner, BTW, It was SOOOO heavy!!! My DH and I moved it and put it in place by ourselves and it weighed 500 lbs!!! It was hot and burning our hands and we laid it out in the wrong direction and had to rotate it 90 degrees... LOL Good memories.
DSCN0756.jpg

DSCN0757.jpg

DH LOL

DSCN0760.jpg

pond2.jpg

pond3.jpg

My son bratty Leo

pond6.jpg

DSCN1253.jpg

DSCN1234.jpg

DSCN1315.jpg

DSCN1191.jpg

DSCN1186.jpg

DSCN1030.jpg

And me pulling the pump out in December... Ewww it was cold.
DSCN1586.jpg

I imagine it will look quite different this year as the plant will be bigger and the falls will look different. I can't wait!!!

Anywho, nice to meet you all!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
animated-welcome-jumping-kid-2.gif

Beautiful! Welcome to our group

What a wonderful transformation of your yard. Your pond is beautiful, fantastic work! Love the plants you have growing.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome48.gif
pecan
Wow all I can say is your backyard went from the backyard from Hell to the Garden of Eden in 2 yrs! What a beautiful pond and yard you have created. Amazing! Makes me want to start all over w/ mine!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have a well balanced pond. I would want more filtration as well but over the years I've seen may ponds that are run similar to yours that have done very well. It's amazing what good plant growth can do for a low stocked pond. Just be sure to watch the spawnings and don't let them over populate your pond. On your anachris, As the plants start growing this spring snip off the growing tips about 10" - 12" long, the plant will usually start two runners and sometimes three right near where you snipped off the new tips from, Bundle the pieces you cut off and start new plants. You'll have more than you need in no time! be sure and add as many floating plants as you can and yet still enjoy the pond, Floating plants not only do very well to clean the water as well, they also provide shade in the winter. Very pretty pond and yard! You deserve a pat on the back for seeing past the junk and seeing the potential. Very impressive pics showing what it started out looking like to what you have accomplished so far!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the forums! :wave:

What an amazing transformation! Looks like all your hard work has paid off.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thank you for all the kind comments!!!

It was very hard work, but my DH got it all started when he rented a tractor with a box blade and went to work on the mess. The only problem was convincing him we did not need to buy our own tractor lol. He was like a kid in a playground driving that thing around the yard.

Thanks fishinforcars! I had no idea you could do that with anacharis. Great advice!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
What a fantastic creation you have made. I'm super impressed not only with the pond and the plants, but grass! My daughter lives in Price, UT. and so I know that you have sprinkler system to keep that beautiful grass. Your backyard is a Heaven for sure!
I think the plants you are talking about are somethat I ahve in my aquarium. I also have another plant inside that is more feathery, but both grow the same way. I just may try taking a few starts of each and putting them in the pond this summer when it warms up well and see what happens. In my aquarium I have cut them as Larkin (Fishin) said, and they sure have sent out multiple shoots from the cut end. The other end, I just relocate in a few to a bunch, and voila, another plant on the other end of the aquarium!
WELCOME TO OUR FUN GROUP!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks CountryEscape!

As far as sprinklers, no we don't. But... We are very lucky because we have water rights and a canal that runs through the backs of our garden. Out here we don't get any rain really, winter and summer it is normally sunny. The only moisture we get is when the snow melts in the mountains, it runs down the irrigation ditches the brilliant pioneers designed. There is a gate to the ditch we can open whenever we want to let the water in. We have smaller ditches throughout the yard to channel the water evenly. It takes about an hour of having the gate open and our entire yard looks like a rice patty. There was a lot of planning that went into it when I first designed the beds and pond to avoid the water going into the pond and the water washing all my wood chips all over the lawn. You will notice every bed has a stone border. That is to keep the wood chips in place when we water.

A lot of people out here still have water rights but most don't use them. I can't imagine not taking advantage of it. It costs $12 a year and city water to water our yard in the summer would be hundreds of dollars a month. I was lucky since I was raised in the high desert and worked irrigation as a little girl so I knew how to use it. My husband on the other hand is from OK and had never heard of such a thing. I had to explain it to him when we bought the house. He said God loves mid westerners more because He lets water fall from the sky :LOL:

Here is a photo from the garden in the back. You can see the ditch and how we channel the water a little bit.

The main ditch is to the right of the marigolds. We planted the ditch with asparagus last year so I am pretty excited for that.

DSCN1182.jpg

The sheet of metal leaning against the fence in the center of this pic is the gate we use to block the main ditch when we open our gate and let the water in.

DSCN1179.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I've seen how the use the water rights to irrigate alfalfa fields where my daughter lives. Quite interesting, as no electric used to irrigate, all done by gravity. Water runs across the top in pipes, then flows down the ditches like you have in your garden, although not quite as deep I don't think. Come to think of it, you probably do have to pump the water in the pipes at the top of the fields, then it runs down the grooves. Other fields have the irrigation lines above the ground, I call them "walking" lines, either go from one end to the other, or on a pivot. I find it extremely amazing that a high desert like that can grow alfalfa (my daughter has horses) where here in IL, where we get out water from the sky like your husband is more used it, we have to work to get such lush alfalfa.
BTW, beautiful gardens you have. Looks like lots of work to get it all set up, then pretty easy. I have a question, though. In the top picture, is the hole in the brown fence where the water comes in? If so, if you close it up, then it seems like the neighbor past you would not get any water, so I'm not clear on how that works. :) I guess I'm just another midwesterner that doesn't understand ....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The hole in the fence is where the main ditch runs and sometimes the water runs high so we did not want it getting the wood wet. We close it off about 3 feet down from there into our yard when we want water. Yes it stops it from going to the neighbors past us while we are using it, then when we are done we close our gate and open the main gate back up to let the water keep running down the ditch.

People are amazed at how green our yard is and I give all the credit to irrigation. It provides such a good deep watering the plants love it. :)

Ask a Question