Hello from the SF Bay Area, Ca.

DenniMac

Dogs, Cattle, Horses, Cats, & Fish? (Oh My)!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b (approx)., N Ca., Napa County Area
Country
United States
We’ve had some “feeder goldfish” in a 70 g tank for 7 years, & they’re now huge! I bought a 550 g “Tuff Stuff” stock tank to make an outdoor pond, but I filled it with water, & one side bowed out a lot. What can I do to fix this issue? (No fish in it yet)! Thanks, Denni

DenniMac

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sorry! I forgot to add that our 3 large Border Collies are water freaks, so in ground isn’t an option.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1592953335835.gif
@DenniMac

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

Post some pictures when you can
You may need to make some sort of frame for it. I used a stock tank, for one of my ponds, it is partially buried, they are made to be full of water and hold their shape.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I would reccomend building a wooden fram out of 4x4s and some cap material, then doing something structral for the siding, and that should help a lot, it would also make the stock tank look a lot nicer!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I agree with addy1, if it's bowing out then it's not performing its primary function well, which is to hold the amount of water it says it holds. It might be defective, can you exchange it for another one where you purchased it from? If it's not defective and just cheaply made, building a frame or wall of some sort is really the only option if burying it isn't one. You can use pressure treated 4x4's, less expensive landscaping timbers, or some of those stacking landscaping blocks that you can use to build firepits, small retaining walls, or raised beds. Unless the frame is touching the sides, it's not going to be super supportive all the way around unless you put the tank in it empty, then backfill the gap with gravel. Be sure that if you use gravel that it's not sharp enough to poke through the tank (or add a layer of carpet between the tank and the gravel). Pea gravel is smooth, crushed stone is not. Pea gravel would work fine, crushed stone would need a padding layer between it and the tank. Water expands when it freezes, and if your tank is bowing just when filled with water, then it's also going to bow when it freezes, so good thick padding would probably be necessary if you're in a zone that freezes in winter. That being said, if you purchased the cheap stock tank because you're on a budget, then all these options negate having purchased the cheap tank, and you might just want to take it back and buy a better stock tank (Rubbermaid brand is good).

Some examples of raised container ponds with supporting enclosures:
Feature.jpg

5f359be94fadc5e2b7009ff34e6c507d.jpg

0238457a9555136804bf726844bf3e6a.jpg

f0461caacf1f949e3b66af2b930c048e.jpg

DenniMac

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I would reccomend building a wooden fram out of 4x4s and some cap material, then doing something structral for the siding, and that should help a lot, it would also make the stock tank look a lot nicer!
I wondered if building a “brace” of some sort is usually necessary, & was wondering what material would work best :) Since we use very similar troughs for our horses & steers, without any bulging, I was surprised to see that. I’ve already primed & prepped it to be painted with a metallic copper paint, but I’d hate to bother, if it’s not going to work. The reason it needs to be above ground is because our 3 Border Collies are “wateraholics” & swimming wouldn’t be too good for the goldfish! (What I’ll have, versus what I need)!

Attachments

• 7244C38C-E312-45B6-869F-8D7AE72D0733.jpeg
    7244C38C-E312-45B6-869F-8D7AE72D0733.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 90

DenniMac

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This is what I’d been dealing with, (possibly not conducive to fish life), but I love the examples you’ve provided!

Attachments

• 5F190965-5C22-4E05-BB1B-CB11E9F1AF20.jpeg
    5F190965-5C22-4E05-BB1B-CB11E9F1AF20.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 91
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This is what I’d been dealing with, (possibly not conducive to fish life), but I love the examples you’ve provided!
[/QUOTE

I find these blue tanks to be very strong and don't require side support.

Ask a Question