Hello from Toms River, NJ

Reaction score
Hello! I have a new pond, which was put in last September. It's about 900 gallons with a falls. We have small 3 koi in there. At least I think we do.. which is the problem. They still have not come up from the winter.. I'm not even sure if that is a problem or not. Maybe they will be up tomorrow.. or maybe they were somebirdy's dinner? I keep looking for them,and people have said that they will come up when the temperature is right, but we have had some nice warm days and still no sign of them. Friends tell me that their koi are up. I don't know.. and I know that time will tell. I just hope they will come up soon so I know they are alive!
Other than this, we LOVE our pond and can't wait to add plants and flowers!
Nancy

Attachments

• pond 007.JPG
    pond 007.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 157

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome NJ and she should be zone 7 .I used to go to Toms River all the time .Koi get very big .Do you have any predators .

Reaction score
No predators yet, that I know of... but I did see a big bird in the neighborhood about a month ago and my neighbor's pond got hit a few years ago. Would that bird be able to get the fish while they are still down at the bottom, 3 ft down? and would there be any signs, like maybe some remains left behind?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am in zone 6 and mine have been up and moving about for the last two months. If you can't see them by now I think they may no longer be in there. Can you see the bottom of your pond? Do you have any hiding places for them? If a bird got them there won't be any remnants left of them most likely.

Reaction score
I am thinking the same thing as taherrmann - I am zone 5 and my fish are swimming about. My water temps right now are in the mid 50's. So, unless there are some hiding places in your pond, I am thinking perhaps the large bird has gotten them.

Reaction score
Well.. the water temp is about 64 today and still no fish, so I think that you are right. I guess I am learning the hard way. I will have to check out the ways that others deal with those darn birds before I go shopping for more koi. Thanks!

Ask a Question