TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Hi I am very very new to this forum, but was inspired to join after reading all the helpful things long time members still contribute. I have been into the fish and amphibians hobby since I was around7 years old, and a couplle of years ago got started with ponds, it started with a 300 gallon pond that had a very nice tream but other than that look like exactly what it was, a hole in the ground covered in black plastic filled with pea green water..... after that mistake I had to rehome all of my outdoor fish ( a couple of small koi and some goldfish) so I came up with the idea of converting a stainless steel horse trough that didnt look half bad into a little raised pond on our patio, right now it hsa a very very green and large fern on one end with water trickling out of it, and to complete the system I used an old fishtank canister filter for clean water. This season I decided after ripping out the old pond to try again, using all the same materials, but a few more tons of rock, this resulted in a much nicer pond with a fairly nice waterfall, I am just now experimenting with UV clarifiers to keep the water clear,a nd I would love some advice on how I could improve my system!
here are some pics of my old pond, and now my current setup:
IMG_0520.jpg
IMG_0535.jpg
the stream of the old pond
IMG_0610.jpg
A few of my babies, and above the stock tank pond :)
IMG_0613.jpg
IMG_0615.jpg
the current one :) (note the ugly green box as the UV clarifier

sorry for the bad foramtting! I jsut got these photos off my phone, oh and also If you were wondering I am 12 years old, I dont really know If I am supposed to be on this website, but I really couldnt care less....

Last edited:
L

Lin

Hi I am very very new to this forum, but was inspired to join after reading all the helpful things long time members still contribute. I have been into the fish and amphibians hobby since I was around7 years old, and a couplle of years ago got started with ponds, it started with a 300 gallon pond that had a very nice tream but other than that look like exactly what it was, a hole in the ground covered in black plastic filled with pea green water..... after that mistake I had to rehome all of my outdoor fish ( a couple of small koi and some goldfish) so I came up with the idea of converting a stainless steel horse trough that didnt look half bad into a little raised pond on our patio, right now it hsa a very very green and large fern on one end with water trickling out of it, and to complete the system I used an old fishtank canister filter for clean water. This season I decided after ripping out the old pond to try again, using all the same materials, but a few more tons of rock, this resulted in a much nicer pond with a fairly nice waterfall, I am just now experimenting with UV clarifiers to keep the water clear,a nd I would love some advice on how I could improve my system!
here are some pics of my old pond, and now my current setup:View attachment 131398View attachment 131402the stream of the old pondView attachment 131399A few of my babies, and above the stock tank pond :)
View attachment 131400View attachment 131401the current one :) (note the ugly green box as the UV clarifier

sorry for the bad foramtting! I jsut got these photos off my phone, oh and also If you were wondering I am 12 years old, I dont really know If I am supposed to be on this website, but I really couldnt care less....
Welcome. Hope You will have a great time here!

Last edited by a moderator:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Glad to have you here and I posted in another of your threads that you already posted. You need lots of plants. That will help w/the algae. Some here also have a bog attached to their ponds. Read up on it here and you will learn more. I don't have one but wish I had put one in long ago. It really keeps your water sparkling clear as you will see in others that have posted about theirs. Good you are learning to do all this pond stuff at an early age. You will be addicted to it for life :joyful:

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Glad to have you here and I posted in another of your threads that you already posted. You need lots of plants. That will help w/the algae. Some here also have a bog attached to their ponds. Read up on it here and you will learn more. I don't have one but wish I had put one in long ago. It really keeps your water sparkling clear as you will see in others that have posted about theirs. Good you are learning to do all this pond stuff at an early age. You will be addicted to it for life :joyful:
I think I already am additced for life....... I will be sure to add more plants to the pond, and thanks so much for all the positive vibes :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome! Your redesigned pond looks much better than your first one. Good work. You just need to add plants to the pond. That will clear up the water. The plants eat the nutrients that make algae, so adding plants reduces algae as they compete for the same nutrients. It will also make the pond look more natural. If you can't afford pond plants (they can be expensive if you have to mail order them), you can plant hostas, irises, and day lilies around the margin (with the roots/blubs in the water and the crowns out of the water), using plain unscented clay kitty litter as your potting soil (in aquatic planters or pots). Hostas do well in partial shade (which it looks like your new pond has) and are easy to find and you can often even get them free on Freecycle.org when people are dividing theirs. If you tell us what state/zone you're in and tell us how many hours of sunlight your pond gets we could suggest plants that will do well for you. Another problem you might have been having is the brown mulch might have been leeching dye and tannins into your pond. It would be best to keep mulch well back from the water. If you can't do that, adding some activated carbon to your waterfall filter (in a media bag) will remove tannins (from wood/leaves) and dye. Replace it every month or two. It looks like you don't have mulch around the new pond, but if you do, activated carbon will help reduce the tannins in the water from it. The other thing is the size of your pond is likely too small for koi. It's hard to keep a pond clear when it is overstocked with fish.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Welcome! Your redesigned pond looks much better than your first one. Good work. You just need to add plants to the pond. That will clear up the water. The plants eat the nutrients that make algae, so adding plants reduces algae as they compete for the same nutrients. It will also make the pond look more natural. If you can't afford pond plants (they can be expensive if you have to mail order them), you can plant hostas, irises, and day lilies around the margin (with the roots/blubs in the water and the crowns out of the water), using plain unscented clay kitty litter as your potting soil (in aquatic planters or pots). Hostas do well in partial shade (which it looks like your new pond has) and are easy to find and you can often even get them free on Freecycle.org when people are dividing theirs. If you tell us what state/zone you're in and tell us how many hours of sunlight your pond gets we could suggest plants that will do well for you. Another problem you might have been having is the brown mulch might have been leeching dye and tannins into your pond. It would be best to keep mulch well back from the water. If you can't do that, adding some activated carbon to your waterfall filter (in a media bag) will remove tannins (from wood/leaves) and dye. Replace it every month or two. It looks like you don't have mulch around the new pond, but if you do, activated carbon will help reduce the tannins in the water from it. The other thing is the size of your pond is likely too small for koi. It's hard to keep a pond clear when it is overstocked with fish.
thanks so much for all the information! the Uv clarifier has been doing its magic and I woke up this morning to a 100 percent clear pond :) I dont currently have mulch around the pond but the tannin reducer is defininity interesting! I am getting my paycheck this weekend so I will be able to go out to my local pond store an I am thinking of picking up some water lettuce alond with possibly some marginal plants for the shelf that I included! the new pond is around 600 gallons, so definitly too small for koi, but since they are very small and seem to be some sort of mix beetween a smaller breed of fish and koi, they havent been growing much, and as of right now the four/5 inch koi and a couple of small goldfish, so right now I dont think overstocking is a problem :) but thanks so much for all the information! and I will definitly check out freecycle to see what they have :) ( will post a picture as sooon as I can find my phone :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
thanks so much for all the information! the Uv clarifier has been doing its magic and I woke up this morning to a 100 percent clear pond :) I dont currently have mulch around the pond but the tannin reducer is defininity interesting! I am getting my paycheck this weekend so I will be able to go out to my local pond store an I am thinking of picking up some water lettuce alond with possibly some marginal plants for the shelf that I included! the new pond is around 600 gallons, so definitly too small for koi, but since they are very small and seem to be some sort of mix beetween a smaller breed of fish and koi, they havent been growing much, and as of right now the four/5 inch koi and a couple of small goldfish, so right now I dont think overstocking is a problem :) but thanks so much for all the information! and I will definitly check out freecycle to see what they have :) ( will post a picture as sooon as I can find my phone :)

Good to hear the pond is clear! Water lettuce will help since it both uptakes nutrients and shades the water, but keep in mind it's illegal in many states because it's invasive (Water Lettuce is illegal in AL, CA, FL, LA, MS, SC, TX, and WI). If you go to your profile there is a place to add your location (state) and USDA Hardiness Zone. Knowing those will help us suggest plants that are not illegal where you are. I can mail you some American Frogbit to get you started if you'd like so long as you're not in California? It's only illegal in CA. It does fine in part shade too, but your fish might eat it unless you keep it in a floating planter. Here's a quick reference site that lists most of the invasive species of water plants and where they are illegal: https://www.invasiveplantatlas.org/aquatics.cfm. A lot of people here with smaller ponds opt for Shubunkins instead of koi. I'm no expert, but those fish in your photo look like koi to me.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Good to hear the pond is clear! Water lettuce will help since it both uptakes nutrients and shades the water, but keep in mind it's illegal in many states because it's invasive (Water Lettuce is illegal in AL, CA, FL, LA, MS, SC, TX, and WI). If you go to your profile there is a place to add your location (state) and USDA Hardiness Zone. Knowing those will help us suggest plants that are not illegal where you are. I can mail you some American Frogbit to get you started if you'd like so long as you're not in California? It's only illegal in CA. It does fine in part shade too, but your fish might eat it unless you keep it in a floating planter. Here's a quick reference site that lists most of the invasive species of water plants and where they are illegal: https://www.invasiveplantatlas.org/aquatics.cfm. A lot of people here with smaller ponds opt for Shubunkins instead of koi. I'm no expert, but those fish in your photo look like koi to me.
yeah im in colorado so Its not invasive :) I just bring it in every winter to my 60 gallon aquarium or the stock tank pond which is heated :) if I were to take you up on your offer for frogbit, how should I pay you for shipping?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
yeah im in colorado so Its not invasive :) I just bring it in every winter to my 60 gallon aquarium or the stock tank pond which is heated :) if I were to take you up on your offer for frogbit, how should I pay you for shipping?

I'll cover the shipping for you. It's good to see young people with healthy hobbies! Just PM me your mailing address and I'll pop you some Monday or Tuesday (so it doesn't get stuck in hot mail over a weekend).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You've improved a tremendous amount between your starting ponds and your latest! I am very impressed!

Additionally, I didn't suspect your age at all--but I doubt it will be a problem. This forum seems pretty family friendly from what I've seen.

It's nice to see kids interested in this kind of stuff. I'm in my twenties, and I get jokes from my friends about how I'm a "grandma" for having a hobby that tends to appeal to older folks.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
You've improved a tremendous amount between your starting ponds and your latest! I am very impressed!

Additionally, I didn't suspect your age at all--but I doubt it will be a problem. This forum seems pretty family friendly from what I've seen.

It's nice to see kids interested in this kind of stuff. I'm in my twenties, and I get jokes from my friends about how I'm a "grandma" for having a hobby that tends to appeal to older folks.
thanks! so far it hasent as everyone here is absoulutly wonderful! it is sorta weird being this young when my freinds come over they are like lets play video games! and Im more like, lets go dig another hole in my moms yard.......

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I'll cover the shipping for you. It's good to see young people with healthy hobbies! Just PM me your mailing address and I'll pop you some Monday or Tuesday (so it doesn't get stuck in hot mail over a weekend).
really! thats so amazing! if you could send it tuesday that would be amazing! I will DM you my adress :)

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
thanks! so far it hasent as everyone here is absoulutly wonderful! it is sorta weird being this young when my freinds come over they are like lets play video games! and Im more like, lets go dig another hole in my moms yard.......
Funny! I like to dig and play in the dirt, too! A few years back, when he was still a little kiddo, I had my son and a friend of his help me dig a hole for something or the other. The 2 had a great time, but the little girl’s mother wasn’t happy that her “precious” came home dirty!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a/b
Country
United States

It was my 21 year old son who hand-dug my pond, designed the trashcan skimmer and now built my bog filter. I'm sure when he and his wife have a place of their own, they will end up with a pond. We are all fish people, with aquariums all over the house, so it is just a matter of time.

Fishguy, you will be into fish all of your life. You may let go of it for a period of time but you will always come back. And you will always know the key to relaxation, the sound of water and watching the fish.

Ask a Question