Hello from Western Washington!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi folks,
I'm in Western Washington (about an hour north of Seattle), and live on a small 7-acre farm. We raise goats, rabbits, chickens, ducks, one random sheep, and a pair of pre-schoolers. We're wanting to add a pond to our farm and add Largemouth bass to our roster (and bluefin, black crappie, and a handful of chanel catfish). This pond and fish thing is new to me, but my mate is excited about it. I've come across the forum and some really old posts here in my research several times, and thought it might be beneficial to go ahead and join so I can ask some of the questions that are coming up. You have a question about rabbits, goats, or milking? I have ya covered. But I'm a bit out of my element with this pond and fish thing. I look forward to learning more here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome! I saw your other post first - I'm headed off to work but I know you'll get some great answers from the nice people here!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Welcome Farm MaMa. Hey I am up in Arlington about an hour north of Seattle also. Right now rving down in California.
When I get back I will chat more w/ya. No internet here at the rv site so I walked up to McDonalds to check in.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Farm MaMa. Hey I am up in Arlington about an hour north of Seattle also. Right now rving down in California.
When I get back I will chat more w/ya. No internet here at the rv site so I walked up to McDonalds to check in.

Hi neighbor! I'm just down the road a bit from you in Concrete!

JBailey

Jack of all trades; master of some
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hi!
I up north of you, near Everson. I have a teeny tiny farm and am also new to ponding. I'm interested in hearing more about your food fish plans, and envious of your space to make it happen.

Do you know Keith & Saara of the Domestead and the C Shop?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi!
I up north of you, near Everson. I have a teeny tiny farm and am also new to ponding. I'm interested in hearing more about your food fish plans, and envious of your space to make it happen.

Do you know Keith & Saara of the Domestead and the C Shop?

Hi JBailey!
We make our way up to Everson sometimes, though I'll admit we don't go quite so far north very often. I don't know Keith & Saara, and have never heard of a Domestead? Sounds like they might be interesting to know? I'm still in the very early stages of planning on the pond, but I'll definitely keep you updated as our plans progress. What all do you grow on your farm? I've seen some really amazing set-ups on small spaces. A friend in Mount Vernon has a half acre lot outside city limits where she has an "urban" farm, and she keeps Nigerian Dwarfs (goats), rabbits, chickens, and a really well done garden. It's very impressive, and I tend to send people her way when they want more on a small piece of land. She's open to helping others when they need it and gives farm tours.

JBailey

Jack of all trades; master of some
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We're taking a bit of a break with cash crops this year (got tired of the paperwork), but we usually grow garlic & pork for sale. Our main 'crop' is eggs and specialty laying hens and we do a nice amount of business seeling them locally. We've also tried bees, pygoras, dexter cattle, and had a sweet draft cross mare who helped with fertilizer and light farm work.
For fun we have about 4500sf in various crops, including a big small fruit yard with raspberries, strawberries, rhubarb, blueberries & blackcurrants. Tasty cordial ingredients :D

Western WA in general is sure a great area for small farming. Nice to 'meet' another like-minded soul!

Ask a Question