Hello from Wisconsin

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Jeff and I am from Green Bay, Wisconsin. I had a small concrete pond at our old house for 20 years. We recently moved to a new house and I am in the design stage of a new pond.
I am planning a 10' x 6' x 42" deep pond. It calculates out to about 1400 gallons. I will have two filtration loops: The first is a typical skimmer connected to a filter falls unit. The second loop will be a 3" bottom drain flowing through a leaf trap, then the pump and finally into a gravel bog.
I have purchased abot half of the equipment and an ready to start digging any day now.
My biggest design issue is dealing with the below zero weather we get her in Green Bay.

Jeff

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well welcome Wisconsin and hope you post pics .Below zero means if you don't want to bring fish inside then you will have to go more than 5 feet deep .I have that problem but reverse ,heat .Cooked pond fish not a good idea and frozen fish sticks no better .The best thing is to find out how deep footings for like a deck should be by code and dig you pond deeper

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forum, Jeff.
Pond fish don't usually freeze to death, they are killed by the gasses that accumulate under the ice. A simple stock tank de-icer will keep a hole open in the winter, and the fish will be fine. My pond (zone 5) is only 2' deep, our frost line is 3', and I seldom lose a fish over the winter!
John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcomewagon-15.gif

Welcome to our group Jeff.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought a deicer after the winter we had 2 years ago and what happened this winter mild as heck LOL Oh well i got it on a summer sale so have it if i need it .shiver me timbers haro

Ask a Question