Hello, I’m in Pond Rehab!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Brand new to ponds so please be gentle! ☺️ I need help to figure out what to do with our old pond and rock waterfall. We’re fairly sure it was built around the same time as our 1940 Cape Cod home. We’ve found an old spigot at the top of the rock wall and an underground pipe running to the spigot along a slope next to the pond. We’d love to revive the waterfall and pond but don’t know if we should excavate to see where the old pipe goes and if we could still use it or if we should retrofit it? Is anyone on this site familiar with how the plumbing and mechanicals of ponds in the 1940s worked?

Basic Details
— 5’x5’x18” deep round concrete pond. The pond butts up against a 5’-6’ high stacked rock wall.
— Old spigot at the top and a splash basin about halfway down the wall. There is also a small rectangular opening near the splash basin.
— 16” tall vertical pipe in the pond for overflow. The pond is concrete without a liner but, despite it’s age, doesn’t leak.

More Details
We removed all the dirt from the pond and did a little excavation to see what pipes were where and tried to figure out how it once worked. There is an approximately 1/2”-3/4” dia. pipe about 6” underground that connects to the spigot on top of the rock wall. That pipe appears to run down a slope that wraps around the side of the pond. Unless we tear up that slope, we don’t know where that pipe goes. We found another wider underground pipe that exits from our basement and is aimed directly at the center of the pond which is probably 15’-20’ from the House. That pipe may take a turn and not be related to the pond at all.

We don’t want fish. Plants are nice. A noisy waterfall or fountain to drown out our neighbors swimming pool equipment is great. Cleanish-water and no mosquitos important. Right now it’s full of water with a layer of muck/leaves on bottom and the surface gets covered with green slimy algae. We don’t know if we should drain and clean the pond or scoop out the leaves and muck but leave the water in? In the summer we have lots of leopard frogs that live it in, but baby bunnies and shrews sometimes fall in and drown.

We have no idea what equipment we need for our size pond and to pump the water up 6 feet if we can utilize the waterfall wall feature. We don’t want cheap stuff but aren’t into several thousands of dollars either. Also, as low maintenance as possible.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks! —Gretchen in Minneapolis, MN (Zone 4b)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Our old pond photos
8A09D48F-6908-4612-AB3A-AC5BB59EC1C6.jpeg
8A09D48F-6908-4612-AB3A-AC5BB59EC1C6.jpeg
412D0FA5-3B9C-4E26-AA3A-650E50E516E1.jpeg
ACCDD177-5356-4B42-8D3F-F9DF96FE092A.jpeg
650894F5-086E-4674-B5A9-764C6354A948.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You’d better post pictures. See if you can find a way to turn on the pipe to the pond to see where the water goes. For now, get a big pool scoop, and use it to remove and leaves and other such solids. Others will pitch in on water volume, pumps, filters. Keeping water flowing will reduce mosquitoes, but with out adding dunks, fish, or what have you, you’ll get some.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Hi! I just posted pictures. There’s nothing to ‘turn on’. There’s a spigot (maybe that’s not the right term) with a hole on top and a hole further down and perpendicular to it. I don’t know if it once had an off/on knob or not. It looks to me like they once had hoses attached and/or were part of some ornamental fountain piece. There’s no pump that would connect to circulate water unless it’s underground. But the only outlet inside the pond to or from which water could flow is the vertical overflow pipe.

We do use mosquito dunks.

Thanks!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
If you look closely at the top of second to last photo you’ll see a white-ish stick we poked in the top hole of the spigot. Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So you’ll need a pump, and a filter. There are lots of styles of pumps, but considering the style of pond, if you want to use the waterfall feature an external pump may be better, placed as close to midway as possible. A hose would go into the water, to pull water, then the outlet hose would go into the waterfall outlet. Note that using that might damage the plant you have there. Option b would be to go with a submersible pump hidden by a water feature of some kind, and use the waterfall for plants. Pump will depend on which option you go with as well as amount of water in the pond. Others who know much more than me will pitch in with that kind of info!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Lordy I wish I could do something like that! You’ve got very nice ferns growing on the walls! They’d be drowned if you used the waterfall at more than a light trickle. Until you get plants, if you’ve got good flat stones, you could build steps to help critters escape. Considering you’ve got things as small as shrew, I’d do a stack out of stones 2-3” tall, stacked biggest to smallest, set as firmly as you can against the inside wall, which if you decide to keep, could be set solidly with waterfall foam. It would let even the smaller creatures have a chance to get out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I wonder if I could set the pump on one of the two planter ledges and hide it behind some plants? That would raise it up almost halfway, I think. I’m not sure how big pumps are. The ledges are probably 16” x 16”. Or, could I set the pump in the splash basin and have a wide sheet of water shoot out in front to hide it? I hope to avoid any tubes showing on the face of the waterfall wall, but maybe hose(s) get hidden behind the water? We have tons of ferns so I’m sure I can dig those out and plant them elsewhere. I’ll definitely build the stairs for the creatures. I presume waterfall foam is a stone setting foam that works under water? Thanks for all the great advice, Jamie!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I just thought of something! Maybe there’s something hidden inside those planter ledges. I’m going to see if I can lift the capstone up!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is one neat pond!

Welcome to our forum!

A external pump, would work great, you could pull water from the lower pond, plumb it to send water down via the upper pipe. With the way it is built you could hide the new lines.

Or see if you can find the input line in the lower pond, get a submersible pump, pump it to push water into the lines. See if you get water coming down from the top.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Very cool water feature! And if it doesn't leak after all these years, then someone did a great job building it!

I'm with @addy1 - an external pump is probably the way to go. But keep poking around and see if you can figure out where they had the pump. Something had to move the water from the bottom back up to the top. I'm not sure what that "spigot" is for but I question whether it was part of the pond plumbing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! You have a 'goldmine' of a pond. It reminds me of something one would find in a nice Vegas hotel. Absolutely investigate and let us know. We are a very friendly group so no worries. Can you box it up and send it to me? :)
Again welcome!

Ask a Question