Hello, I started with a walk in pond for a blind and deaf old dog. Then added gold fish

pat

Reaction score
with a walk in pond for an animal there is a lot of dirt. where should I put the intake pipe to keep it from filling my filter and stopping it up by the way we are in florida and the pond is used year around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Could you post some pictures to help us visualize what you need help with? Do you have a skimmer?

I love the idea you've done something so special for your dog:) Kim

Reaction score
Pat,

I don't think that the location of your inlet or intake is going to resolve this issue. This is a unique scenario. I think what you are going to require is some sort of a sediment trap or chamber to catch all the dirt and dust (now suspended mud) and hair, etc. that the dog is going to introduce into the pond water before it reaches your main filter unit.

You might wish to look into adding a vortex sediment separating filter or a radial flow sediment filter.

I have been working on a DIY design for such a filter for my river cabin fishing bait pond. I am going to be tossing lots of dirt and mud and rather nasty fish into my bait pond so I need a method to clean the water of this debris before it reaches my mechanical and biological units. I have so far come up with a design that should work well, but I have yet to build it. Check it out in the DIY forum under the title "AXIAL FLOW SOLIDS SEPARATOR". Go to post #16 to view my latest design version, but check out post #9, too.

Gordy

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Love the idea of making your pond for your pup. A settlement type chamber before your filter will for sure help you out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome .Have to ask how large is the animal I had a neighbors slit my liner with her nails

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Pat
Nice of you to start ponding cuz of your love for your old doggie friend :love:

pat

Reaction score
Welcome .Have to ask how large is the animal I had a neighbors slit my liner with her nails
my dog is a golden retriever and I have a hound to. the dog it was build for was the golden

Ask a Question