Hello. Inherited a neglected pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. We just bought a house that has a small garden pond in the backyard. It is about 4 feet across by 2-3 feet wide and a couple feet deep. Sometime a few weeks ago the pump was unplugged and I just discovered it today. (We aren’t living there yet). Ugh. It smells AWFUL and is literally full of green slime. It’s looks more like a solid than a body of water.

So I’m guessing I need to drain and scoop? Does the bacteria present any danger to us as we clean it out? The smell is so noxious I feel like it can’t be good to breathe in.

I should mention, there are no fish in this pond. Just plants.

Thanks!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

Sound like a drain and refill, easy to do without fish in it. You are smelling stagnant water stink. You would want to also remove any debris on the bottom. Plant matter etc. A net does well, or gentle use of a flat shovel.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome! And congrats on the new pond... I mean house! haha!

Make sure you put that pond water and muck to good use - water some bushes or dump it in the garden somewhere! It's great fertilizer!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you both!! Will tackle it this weekend and water the plants with the drained pond. It’s been so dry, perfect!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1568836241954.gif
@TracyRee
Have fun playing in the muck
1568836302056.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I am playing in the muck, I tend to wear the heavy duty cleaning gloves, most likely won't get sick, by why chance it. I have helped clean out a few horrible ponds.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So thought I’d update. I mucked around for 6 hours and barely made a dent. Ended up calling professionals. They cleaned it out today and it’s great. Now as Long as I don’t die from brain eating amoeba in 15-20 days, we’re all good.

Ask a Question