Hello - My name is Monica - I'm thrilled to find this forum.

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi there! My name is Monica. I purchased a home and inherited a pond in September of 2020. I have been learning, reading, trying things and basically falling deeply in love with my new hobby that I never planned for or expected. I have been reading through years worth of old posts here trying to learn as much as I can. I am thrilled to see that this is a very friendly forum full of kind people who like to share information with each other - that isn't always easy to find on the internet!

I live in USA, midwest, Zone 6a. I will attach some photos that I took of the pond last year. The previous owner built this pond and never had fish. I added fish last year (shubunkin, goldfish and rosey red minnows). I basically love my fish as though I gave birth to them, and will do whatever it takes to keep them healthy, safe and happy. I am not sure how many gallons my pond is? It seems big to me, but I understand that is relative. There is an approximately 100ft stream that is pumped underground from the pond. There is a waterfall feature with a bog up top.

I am always looking for an excuse to put on my waders and get in the pond to do maintenance. I have a very very heavily tree populated yard, so I did invest in a pond vacuum and have already done a couple of cleanings this spring to get out some of the muck. I covered the pond over winter, but things still got in here and there.

I have put a camera on my bog and throughout my day check into watch the very active birds splashing, wiggling and singing.

Thank you for reading, I hope that I will be a valuable participant in this group. I am so so so excited for warmer weather and a pond spring/summer, that I feel like a child on Christmas Eve! I will stop blabbering on now and share some pics. All the photos I am sharing are from late spring. Unfortunately, we had a very violent hail storm in early July that pummeled and ruined every hasta, my water lilies & lotus in my yard for the remainder of the seasons (along with my roof and some windows). The hail was also very stressful for the fish - with the rapid water change and debris in the pond. They all made it though!

Okay - I started blabbering again. Thanks for reading.

Monica

Attachments

• savingPNG 4.jpg
    savingPNG 4.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 52
  • savingPNG 5.jpg
    savingPNG 5.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 52
  • savingPNG 6.jpg
    savingPNG 6.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 52
  • savingPNG 7.jpg
    savingPNG 7.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 50
  • savingPNG 8.jpg
    savingPNG 8.jpg
    403.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Welcome! That is an awesome pond, and I love the super long stream!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Welcome! Really interesting pond and it is so lucky to find a new owner to take such good care of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Usually when you find a pond that lushly landscaped, with such a gorgeous stream feeding it, an entrance fee to the park is charged for admittance. I would buy a house, chock full of black mold, under a collapsing roof, with bodies buried in the basement, just to get a pond like that--already built, fine-tuned, and fully landscaped. You should go buy a basket of lottery tickets...your luck is over the top!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am thrilled to see that this is a very friendly forum full of kind people who like to share information with each other - that isn't always easy to find on the internet!
IS SHE LOST IS SHE TALKING ABOUT US ??????

Welcome To GPF

THE PREVIOUS OWNER DID WELL nice very nice

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Hi there! My name is Monica. I purchased a home and inherited a pond in September of 2020. I have been learning, reading, trying things and basically falling deeply in love with my new hobby that I never planned for or expected. I have been reading through years worth of old posts here trying to learn as much as I can. I am thrilled to see that this is a very friendly forum full of kind people who like to share information with each other - that isn't always easy to find on the internet!

I live in USA, midwest, Zone 6a. I will attach some photos that I took of the pond last year. The previous owner built this pond and never had fish. I added fish last year (shubunkin, goldfish and rosey red minnows). I basically love my fish as though I gave birth to them, and will do whatever it takes to keep them healthy, safe and happy. I am not sure how many gallons my pond is? It seems big to me, but I understand that is relative. There is an approximately 100ft stream that is pumped underground from the pond. There is a waterfall feature with a bog up top.

I am always looking for an excuse to put on my waders and get in the pond to do maintenance. I have a very very heavily tree populated yard, so I did invest in a pond vacuum and have already done a couple of cleanings this spring to get out some of the muck. I covered the pond over winter, but things still got in here and there.

I have put a camera on my bog and throughout my day check into watch the very active birds splashing, wiggling and singing.

Thank you for reading, I hope that I will be a valuable participant in this group. I am so so so excited for warmer weather and a pond spring/summer, that I feel like a child on Christmas Eve! I will stop blabbering on now and share some pics. All the photos I am sharing are from late spring. Unfortunately, we had a very violent hail storm in early July that pummeled and ruined every hasta, my water lilies & lotus in my yard for the remainder of the seasons (along with my roof and some windows). The hail was also very stressful for the fish - with the rapid water change and debris in the pond. They all made it though!

Okay - I started blabbering again. Thanks for reading.

Monica
Welcome to the forum Monica! I know first hand just how excited you must be to have inherited such a beautiful pond…and that stream is awesome! I can’t believe that deer did not eat your beautiful hostas!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Welcome! Great looking pond to inherit and it looks like the previous owner did a good job. It is hard to tell from the pictures, but does your bog have a snorkel? Your pond appears to have a decent amount of protein floating on the top. Could be time to flush out your bog as it would be hard to say when the previous owner flushed it last.

Ask a Question