Hello, new here. anyone got spare time to help me with a few problems?

Which fish should i put in my pond first, once it is built?

• Total voters

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
not to much difference between the 2 body wise ,just color .I think I like the silver one better though .The eyes and gills look different too .Unless that is just the pic .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
fishin do you know it is bad to smush roaches with your shoe .If they have eggs inside them and you get the eggs on your shoe you can carry them home with you .My friend Marlenes hubby is an exterminator and he warns people about that all the time .Thats a big no no in his book .Not sure but don't want to find out the hard way if it is really true

Reaction score
Hi Luke

I live near Lincoln [UK] and we had the worst winter in 30 years as you are no doubt aware. My Koi, Orfe, Goldfish, and Comets all survived.

I haven't any roach, tench or rudd but have had in the past and they were all fine. Just be aware tench and orfe can be susceptible to certain medications.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
sissy said:
fishin do you know it is bad to smush roaches with your shoe .If they have eggs inside them and you get the eggs on your shoe you can carry them home with you .My friend Marlenes hubby is an exterminator and he warns people about that all the time .Thats a big no no in his book .Not sure but don't want to find out the hard way if it is really true

I've heard that too. We don't have small ones, the exterminator does a great job of keeping them under control, We get these HUGE flying wood roaches, Some are almost 3" long! Even taffy cat is scared of those big suckers, and the wife won't do anything but scream, so I just crunch them and chunk them! Never seen one with eggs though now that you mention it.

Reaction score
okay thanks, tench seem to stay relatively small aswell. they just get thick, and they readily breed aswell. you can get golden forms of tench aswell as green!

tench.jpg

343998_f520.jpg

though the golden tench are normally more brighter coloured than that

a good alternative to the species of carp which grow big (common, mirror, ghost ect) is the crucian carp, it stays a small size too!
http://www.ockleyanglingsociety.org.uk/IMAGES/fishing-isl.crucian-carp002.jpg
again these come in a nice dark green too
http://www.prioryfisheries.co.uk/_img/fish-species/5_large.jpg

Reaction score
tench are bottom feeders, but will readily surface feed too. they are often used in larger ponds to keep the bottom of ponds clean, as they eat any food that falls to the pond floor.

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
I've heard that too. We don't have small ones, the exterminator does a great job of keeping them under control, We get these HUGE flying wood roaches, Some are almost 3" long! Even taffy cat is scared of those big suckers, and the wife won't do anything but scream, so I just crunch them and chunk them! Never seen one with eggs though now that you mention it.

when i was in holiday in greece, during the night a cockroach dropped into my glass of water from the roof! glad i heard the plonk, wouldnt have wanted to sip that

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Gross me out the door Luke! :nananananana:

Actually it prolly wouldn't have bothered me that much as I like bugs but my DH would have went through the roof:alieneyesa:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Did you fish it out and finish your drink?

Don't know the money translation, but if is close to american dollar, not a bad price for the goldies and shubunkins, don't have a clue about the other fish.

Reaction score
No i didnt, i thought the cockroach would have made my drink dirty. and two of its legs broke off while i got it out.

and 1 British pound = 1.6128 U.S. dollars, so not much difference.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
actually in looking again a good price. Would pay more than that for a nice size shubunkin at petsmart!

Reaction score
addy1 said:
actually in looking again a good price. Would pay more than that for a nice size shubunkin at petsmart!

yeah i've bought from these people before. bought two 8" breeding pair of tench, a 5" barbel, one 3-4" common carp and three 3-4" mirror carp. all were healthy, and grew to a decent size before i re-homed them to someone elses pond.

Ask a Question