Hello, new here. anyone got spare time to help me with a few problems?

Which fish should i put in my pond first, once it is built?

• Total voters

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
to me if tench are bottom feeders they would be great to have to keep the bottom of the pond nice and clean .That seems to be the major problem with ponds ,cleaning the gunk from the bottom.Have you seen anyone with them in there ponds and is the bottom of there ponds clean because of them

Reaction score
sissy said:
to me if tench are bottom feeders they would be great to have to keep the bottom of the pond nice and clean .That seems to be the major problem with ponds ,cleaning the gunk from the bottom.Have you seen anyone with them in there ponds and is the bottom of there ponds clean because of them

my old house had a garden pond and i had two that done a fine job. they love sweetcorn too! always gave them that as a treat.

a gamekeeper i know (being a gamekeeper myself, i know pretty much all the gamekeepers in scotland) also made himself a 5000gallon pond and bought yellow and green tench, and its worked a treat for his pond, so even if there is an area where the current leaves everything lying, they suck it up within a short space of time anyway.

Reaction score
tench generally like to have plants in the pond to hide in, elodea crispa works great. (basically any type of pond weed/plant will though.)
its really easy to tell the gender between tench too, male tench have a longer pelvic fin and a much thicker second ray.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have never heard of them and wonder if you can get them here ,I would have a nice clean pond .I went out this morning and my biggest koi aggie killed 5 frogs scared the heck out of me floating by looking up at me ,but all were dead

Reaction score
sissy said:

they are a very hardy fish aswell, (even more so than the natural species of carp!) they tolerate much lower oxygen levels, and can survive through temperature changes. one of the ponds i actually fish, during one summer, it just about dried up, and we netted hundreds of dead carp, but not one single dead tench. every time i go i always catch a few good tench, normally on halibut pellets.

Reaction score
sissy said:
I have never heard of them and wonder if you can get them here ,I would have a nice clean pond .I went out this morning and my biggest koi aggie killed 5 frogs scared the heck out of me floating by looking up at me ,but all were dead

I'd imagine so, they are often used as bass food in the likes of asia and america :(

the british record for tench so far is 15 pound, but they normally dont get that big. Female tench get bigger than what males do.

heres the world record fish:

Attachments

• rectench.jpg
    rectench.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 253

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh people would love to have them here to clean up there farm ponds .

Reaction score
farmers here stock the stock tanks for cattle/horses with them to stop gung/algae growing in the tanks. they get to water their animals and have a pond!
im sure if you had a look around someone may be selling them.

Ask a Question