Hello new member here from TN

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
it's gone down 1/2 the total volume. noticed it going down about 10 or 12 days ago. I make note of it daily and its going down 1/2 inch from afternoon to next morning.
Hi Sandy. Sorry about your pond problems. Do you think maybe a screw from your wood frame around it caused a hole in your liner? You may be able to run your hand in the water on the inside of the liner and see if anything feels sharp or like a hole. I have done this when I thought my liner had a hole and it was helpful.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Sandy. Sorry about your pond problems. Do you think maybe a screw from your wood frame around it caused a hole in your liner? You may be able to run your hand in the water on the inside of the liner and see if anything feels sharp or like a hole. I have done this when I thought my liner had a hole and it was helpful.
No screws were used within the side framing of the pond, all 6” and 8” timberlok screws went down from the top of each 4”x6” lumber framing as the pond went up. There is a lot of Timberlake screws in this pond rebuild. I used the old pond liner and 1” styrofoam on the ground beneath the pond along with sand. Here is a picture taken this morning. I have seen a lot of mole activity in my yard over the summer, would moles damage the liner with their claws. I can’t see any damage but that don’t mean there isn’t. The liner is heavy duty 45 mil epdm liner.

Attachments

• 67195581-CE51-43BA-9210-066AC676A3BE.jpeg
    67195581-CE51-43BA-9210-066AC676A3BE.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 242
Reaction score
Country
United States
No screws were used within the side framing of the pond, all 6” and 8” timberlok screws went down from the top of each 4”x6” lumber framing as the pond went up. There is a lot of Timberlake screws in this pond rebuild. I used the old pond liner and 1” styrofoam on the ground beneath the pond along with sand. Here is a picture taken this morning. I have seen a lot of mole activity in my yard over the summer, would moles damage the liner with their claws. I can’t see any damage but that don’t mean there isn’t. The liner is heavy duty 45 mil epdm liner.
Just ordered new 45mil epdm liner. I will put down hardware cloth which is a wire under the pond on top of the ground just incase moles / voles tunnel under the pond in the future, i'll place a piece of vinyl floor renment over top of the hardware cloth along of the current damaged pond liner and top with sand and Styrofoam. I'll made sure to leave just enough opening at the ground for water seepage in the future. I'll post pictures of the process as I go. Thanks,

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I bet you figured out the culprit, too. Moles (and voles and chipmunks and who knows what other little ground critters) will chew through liner and if they chewed a hole near the bottom it may just be seeping right into the ground. You'll know once you pull the liner! Good luck!

Ask a Question