Hello, new pond owner in Oregon

coelus

new guy
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I just came accross this forum today, it looks active, so I am excited to join and hopefully get some help!

I am a new Pond owner. I just moved into my new house a couple months ago, and it has a large pond and 2 waterfalls. The pond is well over a thousand gallons, measures about 20 feet by 9 feet by 4 feet deep. We have water lillies, cat tails, irises, some other odd plant we cant decipher, and fish. Originally we had 2 goldfish, and we inhereted some Koi. At first we got five koi ranging from 3 inches up to 7 inches, last week we inhereted 5 more koi, ranging from 4inches, and two koi that are 22inches+.

We dont know much about pond ownership
and we know even less about Koi ownership

Reaction score
Hi and welcome..............Just to let you know if your pond is 20x9x4 I'm coming up with 5300 gallons.

Rick

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
For starters Google as much info as you can. It is amazing how much good information is out there. Specific questions may be fielded here.
Welcome to the Forum...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Koi are supposed to be hard on plants. I don't have any, so no first hand experience; however, I've been told by plant dealers that with koi in the pond you should add about an inch of volcanic rock to the top of your lilly pots. This is supposed help prevent them digging up the soil in your pots. You might wait and see what yours do first.

Reaction score
Tim is correct :) koi love to dig up your lovely lilies lol You might get lucky since the plants were already there when you put the koi in.... But if you move them or put new ones in..... FREE GAME! Lol mine don't eat the lilies they just like to dig. The floating plants they will eat the roots off, and they LOVE duck weed.
WELCOME TO OUR FORUM!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
2008 post is kinda old now but oh well they might come back now and join in.................who knows :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Ha! I didn't even see that! I thought I saw this thread under "New Posts". Oh well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ahaa! Maybe this is the start of something good....... Could it be that some people will finally now answer some of my old posts from 4 or 5 years ago!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
It's the similar threads below. When we got this new format, I clicked on 1 or 2 of them too, not knowing they were very old ones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hell Duck or Beaver. Where in Oregon are you? I may find someone close to help answer your questions.

Ask a Question