Hello, newbe with first pond install

Reaction score
My name is Eric 32 years old, from the Buffalo, NY area. I started my first pond install last week, and know nothing about what I am doing. Here are some pics so far. Everything I have read has me chasing my tail about what to do, and what to use.

Attachments

• IMG_01361.JPG
    IMG_01361.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_01471.JPG
    IMG_01471.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_01591.JPG
    IMG_01591.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_01641.JPG
    IMG_01641.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 207

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard Eric. :goldfish: Next you need a pump and filter. Filter choices are many, Your in New York, You get pretty cold, may not want to use a pressurized type. pond is shallow. Are you planning on bringing the pets in for the winter. if not is there a way to protect the pond. How many gallons is that pond? The gallons will be about the same size pump or a little bigger. 400 gallon pond 400-800 gallon per hour pump. You want a turn over rate of about 1-2 times per hour. What about power? Is there a GFCI plug within range to operate. Lot to learn but there is a start. I would consider a filter fall unit for the top of the water fall. It would be easier to hide. could be used with/without the falls. has a good size bio filter area. can be modified if you want to have a back flush valve. here is a ebay link for one that is approx the correct size. I don't know the seller just showing what I would probably consider.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATLANTIC-FI...0660641099?pt=US_Scanners&hash=item4cfce8f94b
I chose this one as it's the smaller version, only has a 14" Wier for the water to flow out of and it's a good quality well known brand. there are cheaper on the market if you choose to use them they will work. This one has a bulk head fitting. It can be plumbed to be the fill and the back flush at the same time. add two valves. One to shut the water going from the pump. open the other and it will flush a good portion of muck and buildup out of the filter as it siphons down. once empty close that valve open the pump and plug it back in. It's that easy to maintain. Lots better than taking a box filter that goes in the pond and needs rinsing often to be even half way effective. This unit can handle a pump up to 1000 gallons per hour. I would probably look at getting a pump again only about twice as large as the pond. the filter will work fine with a smaller pump.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
BTW, Bric, the pond looks really nice, be sure and do a little home work on filters. that is just one suggestion. there are many options and some will work better for you than me. Keep in mind cold, keep in mind ease of cleaning, keep in mind what is what can be decorative for your design. These are important things to research as they will be needed to be happy with the pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My name is Eric 32 years old, from the Buffalo, NY area. I started my first pond install last week, and know nothing about what I am doing. Here are some pics so far. Everything I have read has me chasing my tail about what to do, and what to use.

Welcome! Know the feeling quite well, and you've come to the right place!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone

Ah my old stomping grounds.....

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and Buffalo brrrrrr it gets cold i have cousins who live there and another brrrrrr for them . :razz: .Looks good but you better invest in a pond heater as i have seen those ponds in lowes and about 24 inches or so deep and that will mean you will need one or pond may freeze solid .Check out pond heaters now before they go off sale

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Eric, Welcome to gpf. The pond and waterfall looks very nice. Just wondering how many and what type of fish you are planning and how many gallons is it? Also did you raise the sides slightly above your garden so you don't get water run off? I have a goldfish pond and haven't found it that important to have a heavy filtration system. Also if you set your pump on one of the shelves there is a two fold advantage. One, if something happens to your hoses or filter you won't lose all the water and your fish will be okay, and two, the filter won't get as clogged and you can just net out debris on the bottom. Also I don't know how deep yours is, but I just keep a 3 watt air pump running in the winter with an airstone and it keeps a hole in the ice with no need for a heater.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Welcome and Buffalo brrrrrr it gets cold i have cousins who live there and another brrrrrr for them . :razz: .Looks good but you better invest in a pond heater as i have seen those ponds in lowes and about 24 inches or so deep and that will mean you will need one or pond may freeze solid .Check out pond heaters now before they go off sale

Oh yeah it sure will freeze solid! Lol

Ask a Question