Hello one and all

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am knew to your forum and am so looking forward to getting involved.

I used to have a large(ish) 5 x 4 x 2.5 mtr pond that had a very healthy amount of oxygenating and other such plants, it also had just 6 fish which all grew to a quite large 30cm.+ size and they never required feeding, neither did the pond ever have any blanket weed and the water was always crystal clear, yet it didn't have any kind of pump or filtration system, in a word it was brilliant.

Roll on 20 + years and we have moved into a property which has a slightly larger pond and a very elaborate and ugly large pump and filter disguising water fall system that we hate, it isn't long for this world!
The previous owners of our property liked to see a lot of fish all swimming about and believe it or not, there must have been something like 300 small sprat to 25cm long fan tails of a right royal cross section of types, but mainly gold fish an innumerable almost black fish that have mated with the gold fish so there are a lot of strange colour scheme fish as well. Apart from the smaller fish, there are also 3 large 30 to 35 cm long fish that have a shape of a black/brown trout (but they aren't trout) and these are normally swimming around at the bottom of the pond.

Since moving here we have found new homes for 80+ fish, but there are still far, far, far too many of them and I haven't the foggiest idea how to get rid of at least a further very large number of them.
The pond has remarkably clear water despite currently having only a very limited amount of vegetation and next to no oxygenating plants as they will be nigh on impossible to plant as there is next to no mud or stones at the bottom of the pond.

Currently I have a large bag of barley straw at the bottom of the pond and plan to keep my pool upkeep and management as natural as possible.

I hope some of you are able to come back with some useful tips and advice.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1622407415151.gif
@Buzzy Beans

Ask a Question