hello there!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi all. Retired 2 years ago and moved from one side of Virginia's Blue Ridge to the other -- from a region of sandy soil and no rocks, to quite a bit of clay and rocks every time you put a shovel in the dirt. Our former house was nestled against a large natural area, and our pond helped attract a wide variety of bird, butterfly, lizard and wildlife. Now we're in town and while I accept I won't have such diversity here, I gotta do better than scraggly lawn, english sparrows, and cabbage white butterflies!
Here is my old pond. I liked it, but could have done better concealing the liner and running the pump tubing. Will start a new post with ideas for this new house's pond soon. Thank you!

Attachments

• DSC_1490 2.JPG
    DSC_1490 2.JPG
    234.3 KB · Views: 191

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
sgreeting_welcome_sign_general_100-109.gif

My grand parents on my fathers side had a farm in Culpeper, VA. We could see Pony Back Mtn...part of the Blue Ridge Mtns...from their front porch. Such a beautiful area.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome @Alisonvalley! Native plants will help you attract all sorts of cool things! Combine them with a pond and you'll have a great little habitat!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome to our group! And welcome to the "joys" of working in clay, LOL! I'll have to keep an eye out for your new pond build thread!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Living in town need not inhibit wildlife. I live in the city of Baltimore (and it's not nearly as bad as everyone thinks; I like it quite a lot, actually), and I have had the following visit my pond, which has only been up and running since October: opossum, frogs, oodles of songbirds, a hawk (sitting on the edge for quite a long time, much to my chagrin), and just last week, a large barred owl. I've also had foxes in my yard as well as raccoons, but I haven't seen those at the pond yet. Which is good. I have noted more frequent visits by birds and squirrels since the water feature has been up and running. All of which is to say, the pond will bring whatever wildlife is about, which is probably more than you think is in town. I hadn't seen an owl in my neighborhood before, ever.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Welcome , U can attract wild life with a nice water garden

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and love the area where you live and I have been there to visit your water garden center .They also have an online websight and they offer classes for free .

Ask a Question