Hello there!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there I'm new to the forum.I have a 55 gallon stock tank with a big goldfish and a calico fantail. They outgrew there home so that is why they are outside fish now. Between the fires around us a little stress and a bout of Ick and now there better I have found that I really enjoy having a pond. I really LOVE my pond and enjoy watching my fish thrive in there new environment . I thought that I could just fill the pond up with water and watch them be happy but that wasn't the case. Its more involved then that I'm learning but I love it and I'm really happy that I have a place to go to for answers when I need one .Thanks for the great advice you all have put in so newbies like me have a place to go for answers!!!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the mental health tranquility.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1605718094891.gif
@Pamela Mack

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
can't add too much too what has been said,

Welcome!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Pamela! Are you living in an area where the water will hard freeze? Glad you are enjoying your pond and again, welcome to the forum!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome. I warn you now, we love to give advice like “ big ponds are better”, and “ add a bog filter”, because we’ve found them to be true. Please, read, ask questions, and start plotting where your dream pond will be, and how to make it happen!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in Oregon and it can get cold enough to freeze but I have a heater in my pond and I have a really fancy calico fantail in there and he gets pretty stressed when the water is to cold.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, stress isn't good. Can you bring your calico indoors for the winter? Is the heater an aquarium heater or a pond 'keep a hole in the ice' type of heater?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Its a aquarium heater with 2 sponge filters . I have had to tarp the top a couple times and the temp has stayed around 65 in the tank so if it starts to get really cold I will switch to a pond heater and if it gets really cold I will bring him in.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I’m a little confused. What did you have your fish in before they went outside into a 55 gallon stock tank? If you had them in a smaller aquarium, then you were wise to move them to something larger. I do want to point out that moving the fish back and forth (outside to inside, depending on weather) can be very stressful for them. If you have the stock tank in a protected area outside, you might be OK with leaving them outside all winter — your tarp and maybe some insulation surrounding the stock tank are good choices. It’s interesting that we have another new member who was wanting to ”heat” an outdoor pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had them in a 39 long. I'm not joking but when I put her outside she grew almost 2 inch. this last summer. Its not that cold here yet so I'm tarping it when it goes below 30 and it seems to hold the temp steady at 65-68 degrees. And for my fishes health and wellbeing they needed a bigger home so my sweet and adorbs hubby bought me a stock tank.

Ask a Question