Hello, this is what i have so far

Reaction score
Greeting from shoreline CT, happy to finally join a ponding forum sadly just went through hell dismantling and redoing my pond. My top pond and gravel filter were not cleaned properly and caused a crash six years later once my fish started to pick up in size. I lost all 14 of my koi and had to treat almost all my goldfish for sever laceration and ulceration. Lucky most of my goldfish survived and went right back into spawning as soon as they were put back in. Pond has been running for 20 days with fish and feeding everyday. Added some bio-booster and some scum from a cycled out-door tank the water immediately turned clear the following days

My pond is about 30ft by 20ft and is over 3ft in some areas, my guess on the volume is around 15000 gallons.
Inherited the pond with the property about six years ago. The top and bottom ponds were completely full of solid mud and leaf decay as well as the 150 gallon bottom fed gravel filter.

This is my brand new fully rocked top River/pond with the waterfall re-rocked as well, finally happy to have a nice strong current and oxygenation. This should help my pond mature properly.

On the left is my dual bottom fed gravel filter with a wooden diffuser all cleaned out. still deciding what medium to go with but most likely just going to use large and small gravel and maybe a filter mat, problem is i dont have any way of flushing sediment out when it gets clogged. On the right is another water-out piping controlled by valves the previous owner had some gravity fed barrel trickle into a large stream that flows under the bridge to the top pond. I know it would be really something if i could get this feature running but not really sure how to go about making it work again, maybe re-dig and re-line the stream and then connect to my top river/pond. I can have both of these features running at the same time.

Old pics a few weeks ago before i started to notice my fish acting different and relized i had a problem.

Finally comfortable to go out and buy some new starter Koi to see how they will do. As you can see my local fish farm/ dealer has nice quality and selection, by far the best local selection i have ever seen. The dealer is Dietters water Garden at awatergarden.com. Glad i took the time to take these pics for future reference. Last fish pic are two goldfish.

First time raising comet fry outside the pond they are 5 days old and grow every day

Thanks for checking out my intro thread hope its not to long, but i really wanted to show other hobbyist were i am coming from, were I am at and what other possibilities i have. Hopefully i will do this right this time.
-Taylor

Last edited:
Reaction score
Beautiful setting for you lovely pond.
Yes it is thank you, we are tucked back from the main road with lots of wildlife and foliage. Very large canape still in the process of cutting back as much as i can. keep the pond fully netted to keep what leaves i can out and of course predators.

Welcome. We are almost neighbors. Some nice looking fish
Thank you, I am in awe of what you constructed, well constructed and planned.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcome_1.gif
to our group! Nice looking set up you have.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
great pond but those leaves must give you lots of work hence the net .Looks like a park setting

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Beautiful pond and some beautiful fish! Love the color on the one in your picture profile :)

Reaction score
Beautiful pond and some beautiful fish! Love the color on the one in your picture profile :)
Thank you for your acknowledgement. My favorite are the sanke and koromo just because of their structure and already define pattern. Never had a fish with a large rusty red and white pattern like that. Picked all the fish out my self between 4 tubs with tons of fish and colors in each, very distracting but I got a good technique for picking

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ponder Koi
Very nice big pond and love that moss growing on you waterfall rocks. Pretty fish you picked out.

Reaction score
I am in Awwww, I don't think I would be anywhere else besides this pond and a tennis court if I owned it!!!!! O.K. time for me to be content with my 1000 gal.

Ask a Question