Hello to all pond people

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am new to this site and hope to learn alot from all the pond people here. I found garden pond forum when looking for info on the best way to catch my fish. I have a large number of goldfish and am trying to greatly reduce the number. After a couple of times catching a few with a net, the fish have wised up and no longer trust me. I am in a fix. Hope to find answers here.

Just to give you all a little infor on me and my pond. I am a Cajun Meme from south Louisiana. I have an in ground flexible liner pond that holds about 1000 gallons. I have one koi "Charlie" and a huge amount of goldfish. Lotus, waterlilies, water lettuce and water hyacinths are in the pond also.

Sandi

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
SANDI -- Hey, welcome from one Louisianian to another! You'll finds tons of information & help on this forum -- just ask, or lurk. The folks here are very helpful and friendly, even if sometimes a little sarcastic :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks for the welcome. I have been a pond person for about 10 years. 8 of those years are with the new pond. I started with a little preform and quickly knew I had to go bigger. Love the whole pond experience. Although sometimes the maintenance is tiring. Am still trying to figure out how to work less on my pond and enjoy more.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hellofrog7.gif
Sandi
You can use a seine net to coral them. Makes it a lot easier.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome sandy and it sounds like a nice pond and bet charlie thinks he is king .

Reaction score
Welcome! What size net are you using to catch your fish? I've had decent luck putting a 16" net under water, then feeding them. When they come up to feed just tilt the net upwards and you'll get a bunch. Just hand pick the ones you want at that point. So far they haven't wised up to this technique, knock on wood.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That should have been a welcome sign up there............sorry about that Sandi

For some reason it won't let me post a WELCOME sign on this post.............hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! some one posted about making a box with pvc and fine netting. one end open, sized to fit your pond put in with the one open end on its side. let it sit until the fish get used to and swim in, yank up quick with the ropes attached to the pvc. make it deep so they can't turn and run fast.

Ask a Question