Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hello!

I recently (April, 2013) had a 5000 gal. gunnite pond with a recirculating stream and multi-tiered waterfall installed in our backyard. It has a bottom drain, skimmer box w/ mechanical filtration, uv clarifier, waterfall filter with mechanical and biologic filtration, 14000 gph. centrifugal pump and a small aerator. Regardless of all this, I am new to the pond hobby - my previous experience based in aquarium keeping, aquatic entomology and flyfishing. I have slowly introduced four sarasa comets, two koi, twelve trapdoor snails and most recently, four rainbow trout. The trout love the heavy flow! I look forward to picking the brain of all you experienced ponders.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
howdycowboy-1_zpse58e073e.gif

Do you have any concerns about the trout eventually getting big enough to eat the comets ??

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So far, the trout are only interested in their own species. The comets are about four inches long, and the biggest trout is around eight inches, but they seem to get along for the time being. The trout pick on each other, however. They display a strict pecking order, with the dominant fish chasing the smaller ones away from the best holding areas. One comet has recently given birth though; i've spotted the fry darting around in the river cobble on the pond's edge. I fear the fry are not long for this world once they venture into the deeper areas. Thanks for welcoming this rookie to your forum!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 261
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 263
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 242

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thank you for the warm welcome. Below are a few pics of our pond and associated critters. I'll try to get some shots of the trout posted some day, but they are still a bit camera shy...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 235
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 246
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 284
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg