Hello World!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

My name is Paola and I live in Surprise, Arizona. I am new to the GPF, and it is so nice to see there are other people out there with similar interests and a love for their animals. I decided to join GPF because I am a semi-newbie when it comes to taking care of my aquatic turtles. We currently have a pond in our backyard (I would say 5x5), and my two pre-existing turtles have definitely outgrown it. As of last week, we now have two new additions to the family that were in need of a new home: another red slider and a desert tortoise. NOTE: This does not apply to the desert tortoise!

The pond that we have is not only too small but also a complete cesspool of gunk, bacteria, mosquitos, spiders, etc. The pump stopped working years ago, the liner is perforated so water is practically non-existent unless we manually fill it, and it's just a mess. Thankfully, and I use this term loosely, my two turtles have acclimated to our situation. They have a lemongrass plant that is old and dry and have made it their home. This plant is right outside the pond, so whenever they are hungry, they come out of their cave and start walking to the pond. Usually, if they hear water, they will come out. Otherwise, one of the turtles comes up to our door and "knocks" , which is a way of saying, "Hey you fool! It's feeding time!". However, I absolutely hate this. I hate how our pond is, I hate that my turtles don't have a proper home, and with this new little girl that has joined the club, I don't want her to go through that, for many reasons.

So, long story short, I am here to getting advice, inspiration and guidance on how to build a pond from scratch. I am 33, and when we first got the pond, it was about 15 years ago. Let's just say I really didn't care for it and my dad was the one who was suppose to be in charge of it. Well, filters stopped working, cheap liner got holes, and now here we are. I have done a bit of research and have written down some of the basics that I will need, and I have a general idea of what to do, but I just have so many specific questions, some that I can't find direct answers to on google, so this is where GPF comes in!

I look forward to working with all of you and I thank you in advance for your advice and support!

P.S- I will be creating a separate thread for input and advice on my pond. This is just a "brief" introduction to my hot mess of a situation :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1662591914549.gif
@bootsies_mom
We've all had hot messes from time to time :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
WELCOME there are other turtle lovers in the forum

Reaction score
Country
United States
WELCOME there are other turtle lovers in the forum
Hi GBBUDD,

Thank you for the warm welcome :) By the way, I just spent the last half hour going through your 'extensive showcase and build' post, and I must say, WOW. Your pond is unbelievably beautiful, and the information you provide is so detailed. You have so much knowledge and it is admirable. Thank you for sharing your journey with the community!

P.S- I may bug you from time to time with questions!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@jasmineM6 We love our lurkers! Why not go over to our “introductions“ topic and tell us about yourself. I’m afraid your post will get “lost” in this thread.

BYW, hello and welcome!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
P.S- I may bug you from time to time with questions!
Thank you hope it helps. That's why we are here.
Just remember one thing the advice is more guidelines that have worked for others. There's no the manifold pipe must be a 1/4 bubble up and 10 feet 3 inches long. So long as you get close to the basics you should be fine.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Welcome, I keep turtles myself for years and have them stay outside year round in the pond in an enclosure. There are quite a few others on here as well that keep semi-aquatic turtles. So if you have any questions ask away.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome, I keep turtles myself for years and have them stay outside year round in the pond in an enclosure. There are quite a few others on here as well that keep semi-aquatic turtles. So if you have any questions ask away.
Oh wonderful!! thank you so much

Ask a Question