Hello.

Reaction score
Hello,

I have had aquariums off and on my entire life. I recently moved, and the new home has a garden pond. Vandals threw the majority of the rocks in the pond, and it looks like it has not had any care in 5 years, based on the leaves. We have been working on getting it cleaned up, and resetting rocks. Today we finally emptied it, and I hope to get gravel and declor tomorrow to start filling it back up. Maybe by next weekend I will have the "stream" from the waterfall finished so the water can fall. :) Ultimately, I would like to get a few goldfish, but I am wanting some plants first. I will be reading lots of posts to gather knowledge.

Tonya

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
glad you joined!

post some pictures we love to see others ponds

Reaction score
Let me see if I can figure the pictures out. ;) I posted 3 in my gallery. Let me see if I can get them transferred to here. I am on a tablet, and having some trouble.

Reaction score
Ok, I moved to the computer.

This first picture was taken about a month or so ago, before we did anything. We hadn't even started pulling out rocks.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2927]

This picture was taken about 2 weeks ago, notice the rocks, and the birdbath stand. All of these were in the pond.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2928]

This picture was taken yesterday. I forgot to take a picture of it with the pond completely empty.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2929]

As you can see it is a small 260ish gallon pond.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
addy1 said:
Even if small it can still look nice.
Agreed. The important thing to remember is that it is small and play and buy accordingly.

One part of that is plant selection. Buy miniature versions where you can. For small ponds I like to suggest Halvola
Helvola_Dwarf_HARDY.114172341_std.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Hey, Taz, you have done a great job cleaning out the pond. I would never have guessed all of that was IN the pond. You are creating a beautiful waterfall and pond, even if it is not huge. No worries about that! In the last pic, I was wondering about your overflow from the waterfall. It looks like it barely goes over the edge, but maybe it was the angle of the photo. Be sure that all the water will flow into the preform. Remember, if you have any winds, the water may blow backwards at the end, and get behind the preform, if you don't have it set up so that this cannot happen.
What are you planning to put in the pond? I know you want plants (I'll help you out with that for sure!!!), but are you going to add any fish of any type? No koi, it's not big enough, but a few goldfish would be fun, kids love to see the fish. If you do choose to add a few fish, be very picky, and choose only beautiful ones, since you should only have a few! I love the long flowy tails of the Comets (they are red and white, have long tails), or the tri-colored Shubunkins. You will have to be sure that it won't freeze solid, though, so if you add fish you may have to put a tank heater in it during the really cold part of winter. Most plants are fine, too, as long as they don't freeze. Did you by any chance have the pond, or notice if it froze solid this past winter? It was such a mild winter here, and I think you are pretty much straight west of where I am in IL, so likely you had similar winter.
I have a couple of mini pond lilies that I got from another ponder on here (Addy, who posted here above!), but I can't remember what color blooms they had, or if they bloomed. I may not have fertilized them, thus no blooms. But, I'm going to be separating that pot this weekend, so keep that in mind in case you want to try one of them. I could also send you a dwarf cattail. They can be put in a pot on the bottom of the pond (shallower end would be fine) and they are hardy, no problem if they freeze.

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the welcome!

HTH said:
Agreed. The important thing to remember is that it is small and play and buy accordingly.

One part of that is plant selection. Buy miniature versions where you can. For small ponds I like to suggest Halvola
Helvola_Dwarf_HARDY.114172341_std.JPG
Gorgeous!

CountryEscape said:
Hey, Taz, you have done a great job cleaning out the pond. I would never have guessed all of that was IN the pond. You are creating a beautiful waterfall and pond, even if it is not huge. No worries about that! In the last pic, I was wondering about your overflow from the waterfall. It looks like it barely goes over the edge, but maybe it was the angle of the photo. Be sure that all the water will flow into the preform. Remember, if you have any winds, the water may blow backwards at the end, and get behind the preform, if you don't have it set up so that this cannot happen.
What are you planning to put in the pond? I know you want plants (I'll help you out with that for sure!!!), but are you going to add any fish of any type? No koi, it's not big enough, but a few goldfish would be fun, kids love to see the fish. If you do choose to add a few fish, be very picky, and choose only beautiful ones, since you should only have a few! I love the long flowy tails of the Comets (they are red and white, have long tails), or the tri-colored Shubunkins. You will have to be sure that it won't freeze solid, though, so if you add fish you may have to put a tank heater in it during the really cold part of winter. Most plants are fine, too, as long as they don't freeze. Did you by any chance have the pond, or notice if it froze solid this past winter? It was such a mild winter here, and I think you are pretty much straight west of where I am in IL, so likely you had similar winter.
I have a couple of mini pond lilies that I got from another ponder on here (Addy, who posted here above!), but I can't remember what color blooms they had, or if they bloomed. I may not have fertilized them, thus no blooms. But, I'm going to be separating that pot this weekend, so keep that in mind in case you want to try one of them. I could also send you a dwarf cattail. They can be put in a pot on the bottom of the pond (shallower end would be fine) and they are hardy, no problem if they freeze.
Thanks Patti!

On the liner, it is close on one edge. The dang dog chewed on the edge that is under the rock. It does cover the edge but it only overlaps by maybe an inch. So I am doing some rearranging to make it fit better. Do you think I should go and get another pond liner and attach it? It is wet, rainy, with a freeze warning for today and tonight, so not doing anything on it today. I do plan on getting a few fish, I was looking at Shubunkins, but since my daughter is helping me so much with it, I told her she can pick them out. Don't worry no Koi will be purchased. She wanted to put the fancy goldfish I have in my aquarium out there. I had to tell her no. :) On freezing. We had a mild winter until that darn ground hog said it was Spring. Then winter hit. I don't think it froze solid but it did freeze completely over. I will need a heater for the winter of some sort. I can bring plants in for the winter if I need to. And yes, some cattails would be great.

Posted Today, 10:38 AM
Hello and welcome! That's a lot of stuff to pull out of one pond! :wave:

I know, I was shocked when we kept pulling more and more out. I kept hoping that I would find the birdbath top. No such luck. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
If you are reworking the waterfall, how about moving the liner closer to the preform? That way you would not have to buy a new liner. Unless of course it is attached to one of the huge rocks at the top and you can't move it. If you buy a piece to attach it, be sure to use adhesive that will last through the winter and not crack and release. Addy uses some "wonder goop" that is like black tar, comes in a tube, PL I think is the brand, and I think it's roofing adhesive. Maybe she will chime in here with the pic. Every time someone asks what to use, she pops the pic of the tube, which is so helpful.
PM me about wanting cattail so I don't forget! I will be reviewing the PM's this weekend if I'm able to pull plants, so that's where I look to see who wants what.

Ask a Question