Hello!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b-7a
Country
United States
I'm new, but I've been reading advice on here for awhile now. The experience and knowledge is invaluable! I've had the "working" ponds for 20+ years, no problems, but I am new at Koi ponding- and at the moment I am quite perplexed! First, what kind of filter for a 900 gallon pond? Second should I put rounded creek gravel in the bottom? My pond is constantly mucky even though we clean the filter every 2 or 3 days, so much so that I can't see my fish! Thanks for any and all help with this problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome to the posting side of the forum :)

Rocks/ gravel, in the bottom of ponds, is a personal choice....some like it and some don't. I started with it, but removed it and prefer it without the rocks/ gravel.

Koi are always rooting around on the bottom of our ponds, so will stir up any debris / mulm, on the bottom of your pond.

What kind of filtration are you currently running and how many koi are in your 900 gallon pond ?

Again, welcome :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b-7a
Country
United States
Welcome to the posting side of the forum :)

Rocks/ gravel, in the bottom of ponds, is a personal choice....some like it and some don't. I started with it, but removed it and prefer it without the rocks/ gravel.

Koi are always rooting around on the bottom of our ponds, so will stir up any debris / mulm, on the bottom of your pond.

What kind of filtration are you currently running and how many koi are in your 900 gallon pond ?

Again, welcome :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b-7a
Country
United States
Thank you, tula. I have 2- 10" Koi and 3- 2 inch goldfish. I have a flat box type pre-pump filter, the pump runs 1,200 GPH.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and are you planning om building a bigger pond for the koi .That is a small pond for koi and the resulting babies .My koi are over 2 feet long and in 5000 gallons

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b-7a
Country
United States
welcome and are you planning om building a bigger pond for the koi .That is a small pond for koi and the resulting babies .My koi are over 2 feet long and in 5000 gallons
My koi have been together since I got them. I think they are both female, so hopefully no babies! We weren't planning to enlarge it, we just finished building it 2 weeks ago.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
then you may need aeration and a really good filter and may need to only feed them 2 or 3 times a week once muck starts to grow .If they are long and lean they are males if if fatter in the middle females .I have 2 home made filters and an aerator and only 14 fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Koi will spawn with goldfish.....so you could have babies, referred to as hybrids.

Could you post some pictures of your pond and filter? It'll better help us, help you :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2017-7-23_18-25-20.gif
@Gammer I myself would not do rocks on the bottom. Too much cleaning for me as the rocks can gather gunk between them and hard to get out w/a net or filter. The filter you have may not be big enough for koi in that size of pond.

Ask a Question