Hello!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Hi all...I posted my pond in the showcase but forgot to put any info about it. The pond was built by myself with a little help digging from my brother in law (he opted for a nap after lunchtime pizza arrived on dig Day). It is almost 3 feet deep and I estimate it is about 1400 gallons. I have 10 koi, 2 shubunkins, and about 6 comets (I know it’s overstocked but try to keep up with the water quality). The comets were born in the pond and I believe the eggs came in on a plant i purchased. I use the Laguna pressure flo filter and submersible pump but if I had to go back I would totally do a bottom drain and external pump setup with a catch skimmer. I had one horrific year with string algae but found algaway 5.4 very effective at keeping the pond free of string algae after I cleaned it thoroughly. I changed my whole waterfall recently and opted for the aquascape spillway. I found that having the return from the filter to the spillway didn’t give me the desired amount of water going to the waterfall so I opted to put the pump directly to the spill way and put a second pump in for the filter with a return directly back to the pond. I had luck my first 3 years with my Lilly’s wintering over but not so much these past two years. I’ve lurked on the site for a few years and love seeing pics of other people’s projects!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome @DK146 , as you mentioned you're pretty overstocked and will likely need to re-home some fish as they get larger AND fish do like to make babies so your numbers could keep going up over time. Very nice looking pond and we're looking forward to learning more about it!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and like said you may be at your limit .Do you test your water .I always use 2 pumps and have had laguna pumps since 2014 .love the energy savings

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
smwelcome.gif

Ask a Question