Hello!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks for accepting me to the group. I'm a goldfish person and will be moving them outside in the springtime. Last year I purchased a 460 gallon stock tank and could never get is cycled properly due to the huge amount of hairy looking algae. I purchased a 300 gallon tank and will place it in a much less sunny location. We will be building a wood frame around it with some time of permanent shade piece. These poor goldfish have really outgrown their 125 gallon indoor tank. I'm still shopping for a great filter and pump. Please feel free to offer any suggestions. These fat little piggy fish need serious filtration. They poop like draft horses! :poop: Thanks again! Kim :):):)

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and the more they get fed the more waste they produce .They will outgrow the 300 gallon fast as spring breeding will start and either you will have to remove the eggs or deal with 100's of babies .Algae is good for a pond as it feeds the fish naturally

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
welcome and the more they get fed the more waste they produce .They will outgrow the 300 gallon fast as spring breeding will start and either you will have to remove the eggs or deal with 100's of babies .Algae is good for a pond as it feeds the fish naturally
Hi Sissy! I know it's beneficial to the water, but this was long hair like algae that was clogging the pump. I could literally lift out an armful of the stuff. It was so dense ...... all my fault for not providing enough shade.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1582317770584.gif
@KimA.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
While moving the tank to the shade will help IF THERE WAS NO NUTRIENTS in the water column there wouldn't be hair algae in the sun . The sun is only part of the problem . your bringing in your gold fish for the winter and i would dare to guess you also feed two to three times a day?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

My ponds are full sun, I don't feed much, have lots of plants which suck up the nutrients which keep the algae down. I don't get hair algae in my fish filled ponds, do get some in my small slow flowing ponds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
While moving the tank to the shade will help IF THERE WAS NO NUTRIENTS in the water column there wouldn't be hair algae in the sun . The sun is only part of the problem . your bringing in your gold fish for the winter and i would dare to guess you also feed two to three times a day?

Hi! We have very mild winters here and the fish in the house don't have a heater and the furnace is never on. I feed once a day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

My ponds are full sun, I don't feed much, have lots of plants which suck up the nutrients which keep the algae down. I don't get hair algae in my fish filled ponds, do get some in my small slow flowing ponds.

Thanks Addy! Could you suggest some potted plants and how soon should they be added to the water?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We certainly had a mild winter this year. I say this as it is in the single digits this evening. The smaller the pond the greater the chance major issues will surface as parameters can change so much with a small occurrence. Plants can most assuredly help I would go as far as to try adding beneficial bacteria as well to help balance the eco system

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have all of these at one time or another in the pond and bog. Those that live without any help from me are still around which is a lot of them.

Obediant plant
black gamecock iris
dwarf golden sweetflag
dwarf cattails
parrots feather
varigated snow flake-lily like plant needs to be planted about 14" under water surface.
Water Willow
green creeping Jenny
Marsh betony

4 leaf water clover
fuzzy 4 leaf water clover
mini spearwort
white star grass
penny wort
water mint
blue water forget me not
water iris soft pink\kirk strawn
4 left water clover variegated

lotus
Mrs. Perry slocum, Carolina Queen, Rosea Plena, Sharon, and Empress.

lilies
georgia peach
colorado
almost black
mayla bright pink
Perry's orange sunset
charlene stern pale yellow
alba white
wanvisa

director moore
king of siam
mary patricia

Thalia (Bog or marginal plant),
yellow Iris ( can be planted in the ground or in the pond),

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have all of these at one time or another in the pond and bog. Those that live without any help from me are still around which is a lot of them.

Obediant plant
black gamecock iris

Like i had just said if you found your self with nothing to do, you were not the type to just sit . well i think we just found your next hobby Florist addy1

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
well i think we just found your next hobby Florist addy1
Nah all of my gardens are "wild" if you grow and live without water, care etc you get to stay in my yard. I garden the same way see a plant find a spot for it dig a hole stick it in and say good luck!

Ask a Question