Hello!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I'm Chris, and I'm pond-curious. I learned about this community from a fellow member of a reef aquarium forum, who assured me that if I joined the garden pond forum, someone named JW would welcome me with a top notch animated gif. I was sold.

I would love to have a pond one day, but I do not currently have one. Instead I have lots of YouTube videos that I watch about how to construct ponds, and how to pick apart the patterns on baby koi to determined which will be the ones that I can actually afford, vs the ones I wish that I could afford.

Looking forward to learning about ponds here!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
She is sound asleep at this time on the west coast.......................
ya mean we Castle doofs don't have to abide by east coast time schedules and clock in at 8???? Sheesh, NOW ya tell me. Wait'll I tell Dime; HE'LL be mightily relieved! Was interuptin' 'is precious nap time and dog walkin' routines! :D:cool:;)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok, ok I'm here and forgive me for getting some rest. So much trouble w/slacking Kingy and Squire I have to keep them on top of their duties and hope somebody finally got the moat cleaned up or there will be heck to pay!

1643482293247.gif
@Chrisv
So glad to be here before you stick that shovel in the ground. We will all be so glad to flood your head w/all of our own ideas and you get to pick which ones you like.
Hoping too that you don't like pineapple on your pizza's but if perhaps you do some of us might be able to forgive you
1643482480586.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
Ok, ok I'm here and forgive me for getting some rest. So much trouble w/slacking Kingy and Squire I have to keep them on top of their duties and hope somebody finally got the moat cleaned up or there will be heck to pay!

View attachment 146899@Chrisv
So glad to be here before you stick that shovel in the ground. We will all be so glad to flood your head w/all of our own ideas and you get to pick which ones you like.
Hoping too that you don't like pineapple on your pizza's but if perhaps you do some of us might be able to forgive you View attachment 146900
pineapple doesn't exist. is a myth

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@j.w have we need to found who is the spy on the reef forum? i can send my agents...
Reef forum, ah hah you have good eyes squire! I have not darkened their door but if you think there are issues going on in there that need to be made aware of to the royalty then let your agents flow
1643484347065.gif

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all for the warm welcome, and thank you @j.w for the animated gif. It did not disappoint!

I'd love to learn more about your ponds. I have to admit that I'm probably 24-36 months out from my build. I need to change jobs, move to a new house, and buy a new shovel before I can really push launch.

In the meantime, I am here to learn!

I've been keeping fish in aquaria for 35 years this February, but I have very limited experience with ponds and koi. I live in Massachusetts, which I find to be far too cold.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Chrisv well good then you have a bunch of time to learn all about what there is to offer before you dig into all! I started out too w/aquariums when just a kid and had them for years. Too much work now as to all that cleaning etc. Enjoy the ponding now and seems easier in a way. Wish tho I would have built a bog onto my pond but I had no knowledge on that when I built it. So that is something to keep in mind for you. Bogs keep your pond water sparkling clean. If you want to get into koi you will need a very large pond. I just have goldfish and my faves are the Shubunkins w/there koi like colors but goldfish size. Way cheaper too!

Not my Shubunkin fish, just a sample for you to view. Love the ones w/the long tails.

3.jpg

Shubunkin's.jpg

1.jpg

Ask a Question