HeLLo!

Reaction score
Hi! I am new to this site and looking forward to getting some advice and information from all of you! 7 years ago after our beautiful 14 yr old Rottie, Samantha passed we decided to build a pond in her memory. My children were grieving and after much research one of the articles suggested having them build something in her memory. They were excited about the pond idea so I just ran with it. I purchased a very inexpensive preformed pond. We dug our hole and we buried all of Samantha's things under the pond. In went the bowls, toys, collars, tags and leashes because their grief was so deep that they were "never" getting another dog. The silence in the house without a dog was deafening so 2 months later we got our children a new puppy who was named Hope. The kids no longer paid any attention to the pond. The last person I ever thought would fall in love with the pond and those silly little fish was ME!! Two years ago I dug up the preformed pond and dug the hole for my 5X9 Rectangular Pond, approx 800 gallons. My poor fish who adjusted nicely to there no home and made it thru an awful winter were taken by a heron!! Now I have a beautiful pond and NO FISH!!
I find an older gentleman on Craigslist who is taking down his 20 year old pond because he no longer can take care of it. I adopt 9 of his beautiful fish that are all larger than 10 inches and each have names (how cute is that?) about 2 months ago. So I am all fired up about my pond again! :)
I am battling some green water but recently found koiguy1969 who suggested a UV clarifier and that is going in tomorrow!
So that is the story of how I started in the fascinating (addicting) world of ponds! Glad to be here and hope to make some new pond friends! :goldfish:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome abourd and thank you for posting a very nice introduction. I have learned a lot from KoiGuy1969 in the short time I have been here and feel like there is a lot more to learn from him and others here in the future. Glad to have you join the group!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome glad you joined, it is addicting this hobby.

welcome670.jpg

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Welcome Andins! RIP to Samantha. We finally got a couple of dogs since we put down Cody two years ago. Didn't relize how much I needed them.:bouncycig:

Reaction score
Dogs fulfill so much in our lives one never realizes how much till they are gone.. Welcome to the boards..

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
th154welcome.gif
Andins

What kind of fish did you get? Koi or goldfish? Koi can grow really big and how deep is your pond? Everyone here is very nice and helpful on anything you want to know :rolleyes:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome andins and I know how you felt a year ago I lost My Hunter he was a wiemerwiener and a year before that I lost My Harley she was an albino pitbull and I was lost and heartbroken and then the shelter called me about a pitbull male they just got in (I know the lady at the shelter) I went to see him fell in love and then 2 weeks later went to the hillsville Flea market they have it 2 times a year city wide and people there were selling applehead chihuahuas and just so happens the date they said the puppies were born was the day hunter passed away and there was a male 1 with a brown dot on his head 50 dollars more than well spent .My King Arthur and Pee Wee

Attachments

• pee we and arthurs lazy day 002.jpg
    pee we and arthurs lazy day 002.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 266
  • pee we and arthurs lazy day 005.jpg
    pee we and arthurs lazy day 005.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 241
  • pee we and arthurs lazy day 006.jpg
    pee we and arthurs lazy day 006.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 258

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I know what you and your family are feeling as I miss my best friend ever..........my faithful pal and fellow aluminum can fetcher...........yes he really did go into the bushes and get them for me years ago when I'd tell him too. He'd look at me and growl funny when I'd point and say go get it Zeke and he'd bark and finally do it and bring it back to me in his mouth and then dance and jump for joy. Then I'd throw a stick for him and he'd forgive me for having him do the can thing. Gosh it's been over 15 yrs since he passed and I still miss him and get tears in my eyes.

Zeke in our backyard aluminum recycle bin. He just jumped in and sat there for the longest time. Guess he was proud of his good works :fish:

IMG_0108.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
there my babies and believe it or not ,I have no clue how old King Arthur is and he adores Pee Wee and protects him all pee has to do is bark or yelp and the King is there .The king knows he is a steak and potatos guy now

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
cans owe how could he just lay on cans thats like laying on a bed of needles

Ask a Question