Hello

Reaction score
New Here, my name is Jerry Smith and I built a small 1600 gallon pond 3 years ago. I thought I would post a long overdue succesess. When first buidling the pond I had nothing but problems with string algae and green water. This year I change my approach and got rid of the filters, barley, and chemicals and built a small "top pond" with a short stream into the main pond, using Lava rocks I buried the return hose and then added water Hyacinth to the top pond only. I have never had such clear water even with record heat and T storms this summer. The plants have completely covered the lava rocks and latched on the them and have created an amazing filter, plus it seems to me that the top pond with 100% shading to the water seems to cool the h20 off a few degrees, even with consecutive 90 plus days the ponds water seems quite cool. I do use a UV filter, and I keep the cirucation from the pump prettly slow. Come fall it seem like a minor clean up of the top pond is all that will be required. Anyways I enjoy your forum. I thought a small pond would not be much work, I was wrong for the first 2 years with draining and scrubbing and re-filling only to have problems re-appear again and aging , but this year I do nothing to it and its literally crystal clear.

Lastly, the pay off this year was the pond planting, the third year and it really naturalized, this has been great fun, I really look forward to a cigar and cocktail next to little pond on occasion.

A pic below...... pond evening.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and people laugh at my lava rock fetish geeze .Glad I have a friend of lava rock to back me up .What you created is a bog filter .Addy has one and she loves hers too .

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Great pic! :D Welcome to the forums.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
With a good bio filter, and it sounds like you have made a good one, you can put that UV away, you will never need it again.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcome to our group!
WelcomeGroupSmiley.gif

If you had been emptying and scrubbing your pond, you were fighting the new pond syndrome over and over. If you ever do need to clean it make sure you don't scrub the sides of the good algae.

My stream has 4 small ponds they all are plant packed and of course the bog. I have had no algae issues or water test issues this summer, the plants are doing a great job!

You have made a good bio filter glad it is working for you. Bet you could turn off the uv light, I don't have one.

Reaction score
thanks for the Welcome, I am going to take your advice and remove the UV light and see if I am really there with out it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome, Jerry. It's amazing how easy it is to maintain a pond once you figure out the do's and don'ts. It sounds like you have a nice setup now.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. You have discovered all on your own what I have been doing for years and encouraging others to do as well.. Remove any mechanical filtration that has been installed on your pond and let mother nature do her thing she has always known best and trying to improve on it is a fools game at best.

Ask a Question