Help☹️

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I am brand new to ponds (not even done building it up). We put the pond liner in and are working on rocks, landscaping, etc.
we live in NC and have that beautiful clay! It rained ran down into the pond. We ran the filter and it didn’t remove the red in the water. So we drained it completely and refilled. It rained and turned red again. How can we keep this from happening? Will this stop once we are done landscaping (because it’s just runoff?). What types of chemicals do I use to keep my water clear once we are fully finished?
Any advice is so appreciated

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You need to raise all the edges of the pond so no rain water runs into it. I walked out in every storm and watched for run off. Redirected it when it was running into the ponds.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok we are doing this as we are landscaping, so hopefully once we are done this will stop. How do I get that red out of the water will I need to drain it completely?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could try running the water through quilt batting, it removes real fine dust, debris.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow ok I will try this. I hate to just waste water so otherwise I would route it to our orchard.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Raise the edges of the pond. I would recommend that you make it where the actual water level is several inches above ground level. If you have clay, I would bet that you have a high water table. Eventually, you might have what we call “water hippos,” where water under the liner (ground water) pushes up against the liner and you have big water “bubbles.”

1244B662-D544-4E19-B168-D404162B7F7F.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Most of that fine red southern clay is so fine I'm afraid I'd have to say water the orchard. You not only want to stop the run off for the cay but also for fertilizers. More then likely some farms are in the area and the last thing you want is fertilizers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So we are central NC. The house where we are adding the pond is actually on the top of a hill (we have 15 acres), we don’t use any fertilizers (just compost/mulch). However, not sure how far that stuff travels so most likely shooting towards draining it and building up more. Thanks y’all!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bikmann

Latest Threads