Help! 5 fish already dead in just hours!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
We hv this temp in summer , fish shouldnot die , we even hv over 100f but strange why ur water is tht hot , may b ur ratio of shalow water is alot more then deep parts , and some type of rocks stuff absorbing heat transfering in water , rule is , sun and hot cold reaches till 11 inch , so pond shud b 2 feet atleast at most of its parts if uhv extreme weather to keep it normal
do look for symptoms on fish body for any dissease if changes of colour , spots or swalen , teared parts , fin , gills ,mouth. Backbone or tail droping
Do water change 20% U can use banana leaves they can stay green for months will float and block sun and create barrier between , u should avoid aerator it will add hot air in water ,slow down waterfalls too ,dont let hot air mix in water alot , its quite big place for 2 fishes to breath

ice is useless unless ur adding bucket every hour , the temp is too much for it to bring any change, imagine trying to keep a bucket cold from few ice cubes under sun

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Thanks to all for quick replies..o answer a few more questions, we have a smartpond pond aerator with filter and pump, Illumination series with 250-GPH filter and pump we purchased from Lowe's hardware. The other pump is about the same - so 2 pumps&filters going.

Re: temperature, the thermometer is reading 82 degrees.... at 3" below surface. Humidity is 55% and outdoor temp is 90 degrees at 5pm EST. Pond depth at its deepest point reads 18".

We put a lot of ice in the water as well as an umbrella over the bulk of the pond. We are down to mom, dad, and one baby. I cannot tell you how heartsick I am. I greatly appreciate your quick responses. Hopefully we will have learned some valuable lessons that we can apply to our next setup with new fishes.
Plz dont b hopeless they will hv more fry soon , they spawn 2 times or more yearly if high protein food and plants roots around , tc of parents , u know i had 45 fry from shubunken same as urs and only 5 ended up beeing fully mature till today but even they hv spawned many times , the rate can b less of survival specialy if any dissease ,climate changes or various factors or water condition , fry r 1st to die. Within night , very hard to stop it until u know uhv smthing wrong.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Plz dont b hopeless they will hv more fry soon , they spawn 2 times or more yearly if high protein food and plants roots around , tc of parents , u know i had 45 fry from shubunken same as urs and only 5 ended up beeing fully mature till today but even they hv spawned many times , the rate can b less of survival specialy if any dissease ,climate changes or various factors or water condition , fry r 1st to die. Within night , very hard to stop it until u know uhv smthing wrong.

I deeply appreciate the kind and thoughtful responses to my call for help. It is rare these days to ask help of strangers and not end up getting sarcastic comments about what a dummy I am for allowing this situation to exist. I've already beaten myself up about my carelessness, so thank you for not adding a final insulting blow. We have lost the last baby overnight; the parents remain alive. First thing this morning we are putting up shade. Current temp is 78 degrees; we live on the coast of North Carolina in the southern part of the state. Second we are getting plants that some of you have kindly mentioned would be helpful in providing coverage. FYI - This pond was not meant to hold fish when we constructed it. It was to be a water feature, but darling little granddaughters wanted fish so we decided to put several little ones in the pond. We truly never gave it the thought and consideration the fish deserved. We were simplistic in thinking that a life in a little pond must surely be better than living in a glass aquarium in a big box store where people are tapping on the glass sides all day long. This has been a tough lesson to learn. Again, thank you for your kindness and willingness to inform without judgement.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We all have made mistakes.
I built my pond here(my 5th pond build), filled it from our well, let it run for a few months then added fish. Within a few hours they all died.
That is when I found out our well is very acidic, 5.4 ph, I put those poor fish into a acid bath. The ph of the pond was under 6 when I tested it after all the fish died.
It happens, as long as we learn from our mistakes, all is good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum and sorry for the loss of your fish babies. We have all been there. This is a friendly forum and many experienced pond keepers here to try to help you and your pond.

Ask a Question