Help a girl build a wooden pond frame?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
I'm not entirely clueless, but pretty close.

The pond needs a frame around it, because I'm not digging the Rubbermaid look. I want a pretty plain, square, wooden frame around it that I can backfill with dirt to help regulate the pond temperature and also so I can plant a few green things around it. (I may later attach lattice to the solid walls to dress it up.)

I'm looking for ideas for a really simple frame. It's 24 inches above the ground (about 8" below). Could I use 2x12's, one on top of the other? YouTube instructional videos, anyone? And when I say "help" I really am looking for idiot-proof instructions.

This is embarrassing for me to ask and admit how little I know. Obviously I didn't get the pond to where it is now. I had to pay for help.

Shamefully yours.
Laura

Attachments

• need a frame.jpg
    need a frame.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 2,863

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
no problem 4x4 's on the sides and decking boards screwed into the 4x4 's and then you could put decking boards on the top .All you would need is 4 4x4's cut to the height of the tank /They are the feet .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They built it like a table and all you need to do is fill in the sides with the deck boards to cover the side of your tank

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Here are some patio boxes we made last year - meant to hold flowers but could also serve as a frame around a pond.

They use pressure treated deck lumber of varying widths, and lattice to prettify everything. We staked the boxes into the ground using 1x1 stakes, and then used angle brackets to fasten the boards to each other, and nailed into the stakes to keep everything from tipping over on our slope.

You mentioned covering it with lattice, which is why I thought my patio boxes may be helpful.

Good luck with your project!

Attachments

• 2013-09-15 11.26.50.jpg
    2013-09-15 11.26.50.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 553
  • 2013-09-15 11.27.23.jpg
    2013-09-15 11.27.23.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 532

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
best thing to do also is buy some of that foam insulation and put inside the box so it will help keep it from freezing

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I did that with veggie boxes ,built them and lined them in the foam and then put in the dirt and used old windows for the tops .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If I remember correctly, building a box like JB, and you need to drill holes to each of the wood to put the rebars in. The holes need to line up from the top so it easy to insert the rebar, from the top down to the ground, holding the woods together.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Thanks, everybody. Michey, the lattice looks really nice. And I'll definitely put some sort of insulation in the frame below the dirt line to help keep the pond temps from fluctuating. Good ideas, everyone. Can't thank you enough.

Ask a Question