Help A noobie make a pond on a budget :)

MMMxxxanaxxx

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, wuts up everyone? I have a pond in my backyard and have recently decided to fix it up. Usually it just has the rocks that are all piled up in the pics on the bottom, the pond is filled with water and changed every few months or so I have been dumping chlorine in because nothing lives in there.

I want to get some turtles and some decent sized gold fish to make the pond a little more entertaining.

I don't really know much about the whole pond thing but I don't really have too much to invest in this project. I have no idea how many gallons my pond is but it gets filled up to where there sealer ends and the loosley stacked bricks start. Hopefully someone can help me guesstimate from my pics.

I've looked around and I'm not sure what I need for filtration or whatever, I know I don't want green water so I made sure what I was looking at had that UV light. Here are ther two filters I am looking at. I think I need the more expensive one if I'm going to have turtles and a few fish to help clean it clean and have beneficial bacteria and all.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RESUN-13W-UV-St...3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:3|39:1|240:1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/7000GAL13watts-...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

What do you guys think between the two?

I have sealer coming from the pool supply store and I am going clean and reseal the pond in the next few days and then order whatever filter I need and get it set up.

I was thinking of burying the filter thing up at the high part of the pond by the palm tree and electical stuff for the yard lights and running the intake to the deep rectangle hole in the bottom of the pond. And then a waterfall seems kind of complicated, but maybe I can get the water coming out of the exit tube to run down some rocks or something cool lol :)

Would this be an alright setup for some cheapo gold fish and 2 or 3 turtles? Some Kois would be nice but like I said, I'm on a budget so, If I could get filtration, turles, fish, etc.... for like under $200...well...thats what needs to happen lol.

Any feedback or just pond advice in general I need to know is appreciated... btw...Ive been looking through a bunch of galleries around here...you guys have some SICK ponds!!!

Thanks in advance :) :)

Attachments

• GEDC0112.jpg
    GEDC0112.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 350
  • GEDC0071.jpg
    GEDC0071.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 337
  • GEDC0082.jpg
    GEDC0082.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 364
  • GEDC0085.jpg
    GEDC0085.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 354

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
That would be a start....When you make the water fall buy a piece of pond linner, to go under all the rocks in the water fall, and lip down into the existing pond..

MMMxxxanaxxx

Banned
Reaction score
So will the second filter I posted be a good one for my size pond? Will it be overkill? I don't think the pond could possibly be more than a few hundred gallons.

What am I going to have to buy for that filter, just go to the hardware store and get flexible plastic tubing for the water going in and out? Is there really anything else I need to know besides follow directions to install the filter, de chlorinate or (w.e that stuff is you put in fish tanks for tap water to be safe)...put that stuff in before I add animals. I'm going to put a log thing in there for the turtles to climb up on. Thats about it to get a basic pond going? I'm just looking to get some thing going in my pond so its not so boring. I'm not looking for a crazy genuine swamp pond like some of you guys with lillypads and all LOL...would be nice though :)

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
build your own filter, its cheaper and better, there are two skippy style filters shown on this site, a 55 gallon barrel or 70 gallon stock tank. you can build either out of a smaller 33 gallon trash can or tote storage container, just adapt the plans to suit your size. but you cant have too much filter just not enough.

MMMxxxanaxxx

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, I didn't see any plans to build your own filter. Can you post a link? Will it have the UV thing to keep the water from getting green? Do they look ghetto or same as one you would buy? Is it really worth it to build my own or should I just buy the one I posted? Opinions are appreciated :)

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
look in the diy forum and garden pond equipment forums. there is building a 55gallon bio filter and my 70 gallon skippy filter wich is my post, the filter i currently use.

MMMxxxanaxxx

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, my pond is definetly over 70 gals. so I don't really see that working. I'm fine spending $100 for a filter as long as it will do a good job and there aren't a bunch of other things I need to invest in besides animals, food, water drops, etc..

I'm just kind of trying to figure everything out so I can order what I need and get it set up... this being my first time and all ....just looking for some tips or someone to tell me my plan sounds good. lol

MMMxxxanaxxx

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the comments. My sealer came in today and its supposed to rain tomorrow so I guess I'll get the pond drained and sealed in the next few days. Does anyone have any comments about the UV filter I picked? Will it work well for my setup? I don't really want to build one really, I'd rather just buy one. :banghead3:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Never used one ,,,But if you can add a valve to help cleaning go easier ,it would help

MMMxxxanaxxx

Banned
Reaction score
I sealed the pond earlier today. I might have to do some little touch up stuff on the top for the edge but its basically done. I'm headed to work now but I'll post up some pics tomorrow when I get up. What do you guys use for your pond, or what would you use for a filter if you had my pond? I'd rather buy something than build it if I can keep the cost around $100. I just want to figure out what to buy so I don't order the wrong thing and then not be able to use it. :grumble:

What does a valve do? Where does it go on the pond or the filter?
Thanks

Ask a Question