Help/Advice to get rid of this green stuff

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this forum and I have this problem which I will hope you can help me with.
I've increased my pond size lately to 12' x 6' and purchased all new equipment, Hozelock 9000 Ecomax Filter and Hozelock 5500 Pump.
I have five Koi and placed a few plants around the marginals.
The Problem.
At first, and until a couple of weeks ago the water was perfectly clear and the water pressure great.....then within day or so the Pond surface and shelves were amass with green algae and water pressure low.
I'm now cleaning the Pump (covered in thick algae) on a daily basis just to keep the water flowing. However, the water condition is still pretty clear, so I believe the the new UVC Lamp is still effective.....But this awful green stuff is getting on my nerves and the only thing that I've changed is the size (not position) of this Pond.
Any help would be appreciated
Regards
Elaine

Reaction score
String algae, I would guess.

Nothing much you can do. Algae is a normal part of ponds, lakes, or anything else that holds water.

My pond is the same way, long lines of string algae, but the water is crystal clear. I'll pull it out every once in a while. It seems it grows later in the summer. Between 50 - 75% of my pond is covered with some type of plants, so more plants won't help.

One thing that might help would be to stop feeding your koi. The koi will find enough other stuff to eat. I choose to feed my koi, and like with the aftermath that comes with that.

It is also good cover for the koi fry.

The only real option would be snails (unless you want to try chemicals), but you would need a lot. I have 75+ trapdoor snails, and they don't even make a dent. They actually have algae growing on their shells.

Reaction score
You have two choices with string algea...fight it ..or get used to it. If you choose to fight you will need to treat it with EkoBlast or Quick Fix. For a better term they are "oxygenators" that destroy the cell structure of algae and don't harm fish...if dosed propperly. I turn off my pump and fountain...sprinkle Quick Fix on my waterfall shelves and in the water over submerged rocks....leave for a hour...dead algae floats to the top. I turn my pump back on and filter the stuff thru my skimmer and Bio Filters (2). green is gone is 90% gone and 100% in 24-36 hours....I add microbelift PL to boost the bio filters

But...it starts coming back after 4-5 days...and I treat it again after 7 days...it takes me about 10 minutes

Reaction score
Hi Kirscp and Boogie1952

Sorry for the delay, had a problem logging in.
Thanks for both replies and I'm a bit disappointed to hear that string Algae is normal considering I've had two ponds (different locations) over fourteen years and this is my first experience of it... LUCKY ME !
However, it looks like I'll have to take up your suggestion of chemicals (don't like snails) and carry out the exercise (Boogies) as advised.
These chemicals, EKoBlast and Quick Fix, are they available in the UK?
If they are not I'm sure there will be something similar here.
Thanks again for your time, it's appreciated.
Regards
Elaine

Reaction score
Quick Fix is the best. It is by Clear Pond ( www.clearpond.com ) They have an online store....or email them for their UK outlets. EcoBlast is by Eco Systems they may have UK distribution as well. Read the dosing recomendations...I use 16 oz for a 1,000 gal pond once a week. I broadcast it very thin and cover the submerged rocks and waterfall ledges...shut down pump and fountain for an hour...hose off plants if you get it on any.

Reaction score
Hi Boogie1952,
Thanks for your reply and information, I've mailed the manufacturer of
Quick Fix to ask if it is available over in the UK
Regards
Elaine

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Elaine
It helps to know where you are. Which hemisphere, continent, country, state, etc.

Where you are in the world makes a difference as to what phenominom we are dealing with. IE in Southern California, we get serious algae in March, fllowed by string algae that carries until June.

FYI... String algae does not make pea soup, another algae does this.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Elaine
It helps to know where you are. Which hemisphere, continent, country, state, etc.

Where you are in the world makes a difference as to what phenominom we are dealing with. IE in Southern California, we get serious algae in March, followed by string algae that carries until June.

Did you get recent runoff from rain? Dirt bottom?

FYI... String algae does not make pea soup, another algae does this.

Throwing chemicals into a pond is not my first choice. Mother nature doesn't shop a fish chemical store to fix itself, why should you? Mother Nature doesn't use a UV filter either.

Search some of the posts on bio filters made from 55 gallon drums and you will get a lot of valuable information.

Overfeeding will cloud and pollute the water. Your fish will do fine for a few days without your feeding.

Do a 25% water change and discontinue feeding for a few days and see what happens.

Reaction score
Hi Dave,
Thanks for your information.
I live in the North part of England in a county called Durham, the weather this summer has seen a lot of rain, unusual, and for nearly all August.
I'm not keen on using Chemicals either, but if there is no other method of getting rid of this Algae then I will.However, over the last few days I've been removing as much Algae as possible on a daily basis and there is an improvement already, also this weekend I intend to do a 25% water change.
The water is pretty clear, so I think my present Filter equipment is OK at present, although, it's a good idea to look at this 55 gallon bio filter as an alternative.
I must thank everyone again for there help and suggestions
Regards
Elaine

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Runnoff causes nutrients to get swept into the pond. Algae thrive on these. I suspect that is what kicked it off.

Reaction score
We had a pretty nasty algae bloom before i install the UV. 1 week after i put the 40watt UV in (placed on the outflow of the bio filter) the pond was beautifully clear. Never would have believed it...
twocents.gif

Reaction score
The biofilter had been has been there since startup about a month or so back. It was treated soon after with bioboost bacteria mix.

The water had tested high PH initially and it took a week to get it down. Now we're at about 7.5 to 8. So maybe the high PH triggered the bloom. By the time the PH was OK the algae was out of control. We tried using some pond chemical treatments, but the pond is so big that local pet supplies didn't carry enough to treat the pond with a full recommended dosage.

With the partial treatment the water did get better for a few days and the algae was back like before. The UV has left a slight green tint in the water, but we can always see the bottom clearly and the fish at all times. Hope it'll stay that way!

Reaction score
I can relate. I live in Aspen, Colorado and my pond was perfect until late summer. I was controlling the green meanie until I left town for several weeks. Upon my return, it is overrun with the stuff. Since we are getting ready to get cold, really cold and frozen.....should I bother treating it? In other words, it'll freeze until spring and will it come back ten fold or will I be able to start fresh? My fish are coming out and are in the upper small pond anyway. Help!

Ask a Question