Help Building Basin Waterfall

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone have any idea what these Basins are made of? I want to build this to connect my two(2) ponds but I cant figure out what these are made of so I can make some, or where I can purchase them already made. Anyone have any ideas

Attachments

• 20211228_234146.jpg
    20211228_234146.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 29
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Anyone have any idea what these Basins are made of? I want to build this to connect my two(2) ponds but I cant figure out what these are made of so I can make some, or where I can purchase them already made. Anyone have any ideas
no idea; but you could probably approximate this look using cement blocks, stacking, filling with concrete and some rerod (or building using 4x4s), and adding a liner. Probably going to be kind of costly, though. I'm assuming what your pic shows is probably some sort of resin plastic. Made for ponds? Perhaps. Might be for another use, too but I can't ever recall seeing anything to help you. Sorry.

Reaction score
Country
United States
no idea; but you could probably approximate this look using cement blocks, stacking, filling with concrete and some rerod (or building using 4x4s), and adding a liner. Probably going to be kind of costly, though. I'm assuming what your pic shows is probably some sort of resin plastic. Made for ponds? Perhaps. Might be for another use, too but I can't ever recall seeing anything to help you. Sorry.
resin plastic, just what I was thinking, or Fiberglas. Was wondering how thin could I cast concrete maybe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
resin plastic, just what I was thinking, or Fiberglas. Was wondering how thin could I cast concrete maybe.
Not an expert on 'how thin', but you'd definitely have to include lath and or some elasticizing compound/fiberglas. Imo, you'd be further ahead digging and using the dirt to make some hills/berms to get what you want. Or, scour the interwebs for something similar but cheap. For instance, you could get some small kiddie pools and use that but you'd need to support underneath as you raised each one successively higher. Again, dirt, sand with stone/cinder block embankment holding, pressure treated wood. You could also construct the boxes out wood sides and have these 'frames' lined. Still would need the base supported.

I think were it my project, I'd do the liner inside wood sides built on top of a dumped pile of sand (coarse) which you'd shape to height/width+length, and then supported on the outside with landscape boulders; add soil for landscape, and bob's yer uncle!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not an expert on 'how thin', but you'd definitely have to include lath and or some elasticizing compound/fiberglas. Imo, you'd be further ahead digging and using the dirt to make some hills/berms to get what you want. Or, scour the interwebs for something similar but cheap. For instance, you could get some small kiddie pools and use that but you'd need to support underneath as you raised each one successively higher. Again, dirt, sand with stone/cinder block embankment holding, pressure treated wood. You could also construct the boxes out wood sides and have these 'frames' lined. Still would need the base supported.

I think were it my project, I'd do the liner inside wood sides built on top of a dumped pile of sand (coarse) which you'd shape to height/width+length, and then supported on the outside with landscape boulders; add soil for landscape, and bob's yer uncle!
Thought about that wood box & liner option also. Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
WHY WOULDyou even try epdm or hpre is thin soooooooooooooo ... by basin i assume your refering to below grade epdm, fabric some aquab;pcks, and stone all done

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Can you discover who built the example pond (which is gorgeous and interesting) and ask?
Do I understand correctly that you already have two ponds? I think the construction of these connector falls would depend a lot on how far apart your 2 ponds are, the "drop", and the volume of water passing through.

Ask a Question