Help! Covering pond advice

Reaction score
Hi I hope someone can offer advice. I have a pond with normal goldfish, I have a bee nest in the wall of my house, it has been treated this evening with powder which is obvioulsy toxic to fish and ponds hence it has been covered with plastic sheeting and held in place with bricks. There are gaps with air getting in and it is rasied slightly over the reefs / pumb. I am have no idea about these things, I am assured it will be safe for 24 hours for the fish and they will not sufficate etc.

Can anyone reassure me?

Thanks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It sounds like there is enough room for some air to get in. As long as those gaps don't let the powder in you should be fine. I would assume the company you are using are professional and have done this before. So they would know how to protect a pond.

Do you have an air pump? You could use that to add extra air, just don't have the intake anywhere near the powder being applied.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just make sure you don't get any type rain or it could be a problem then a real problem .Even a heavy mist may bring some of the stuff down but as long as there is a filter going hopefully any that does get in will be caught in the filter and you would then need to wash the filters good and soak them in some peroxide to get any of it out .Just hope for no rain .

Reaction score
Thanks so much I have no idea about ponds and rent my house and the pond came with it and I had no idea there were fish! Really don't want to loose them. I have made sure gaps between the bricks for air, it is raining but hopefully not heavily overnight to get onto the water.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome_cat_2_white_back.gif
meljy1

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Ya, it's ok. Next time, don't douse the bees nest with chemicals. Fill a watergun with soap and water and squirt at the nest. The soap will disintegrate the nest and the bees will leave. But you still will have to cover the pond because you don't want soap in it, but I think soap is better than chemicals.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ya, it's ok. Next time, don't douse the bees nest with chemicals. Fill a watergun with soap and water and squirt at the nest. The soap will disintegrate the nest and the bees will leave. But you still will have to cover the pond because you don't want soap in it, but I think soap is better than chemicals.

Didn't know that john, does that work with wasp nests also?

Reaction score
As long as you have a pump or filter going it will be fine .. just think of aquariums .. they are all closed off except were the filter is running into the tank and that is what give the fish the oxygen .. you can have a wide open tank and no filter pump running and they wont get any oxygen .. the oxygen is produced from the running water ..so you can have your whole pond sealed off but have the pump going and it will be fine ..

good luck and i hate bees/wasps/all those flying things ... lol..

Marion

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Look into carbon gravel in media bags or a carbon pad to be put into your skimmer or somewhere else. The carbon is made to absorb any kind of toxic,chemically hazardous materials.

Whenever oils get dumped on my yard, there's a carbon spray compound that I spray to capture and neutralize the oil.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Didn't know that john, does that work with wasp nests also?
It should except for underground ones. I forgot to mention that this only works with small nests, I've never tried it with big ones. And actually soap and water waterguns will kill any flying insects as well. Their wings have a waxy covering that beads water off but the soap will make them stick together and block their spiracles (breathing holes).

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have been stung a lot by those yellow jackets, they love being under ground, in rocks, hiding until they attack!

Ask a Question