Help -dead fish

CAJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help! We had a dead fish this morning, pictures attached I’m worried he had a disease and that the others might catch it, there is another in the pond with a bit of green on him but don’t know If it is silt , not sure, anyone know what this might be and should I be worried or doing something to the pond? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• B8A9302C-FEA9-4D5A-9E99-5EECA11BF1CB.jpeg
    B8A9302C-FEA9-4D5A-9E99-5EECA11BF1CB.jpeg
    430.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 4B2276A6-8745-437E-89A8-8669650AF3AF.jpeg
    4B2276A6-8745-437E-89A8-8669650AF3AF.jpeg
    418.3 KB · Views: 74
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh boy - that fish does look not good from the photo. It's bloated for sure - any idea how long it was dead? Did you notice anything unusual about the fish before it died? The gills on one side look bad, but if the fish was dead for a while a lot can happen after death.

A few details about the pond - how big, how many fish, what kind, how old, type of filtration, etc. Do you test your water?

CAJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It was alive yesterday just noticed it this morning! No it seemed ok, but I am not sure to be honest, the pond is about 7 ft x 5ft and 3.5 deep ish! We had about 40 fish in there at one stage but we knew that was too many so now have about 20, it has an oase filter system installed the oase 4000 uv , never tested the water, this is the first time this has happened! I have put other threads on here as we have trouble getting the water to clear but I think that is due to sun being dir3ctly on it and the rainwater run off gets in there but we are going to be rectifying that,

CAJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oase 4000 pump and filter which has been installed about 3 years,

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Just under 1000 gallons - 20 is definitely better than 40! All goldfish?

I am no fish expert, but I can tell you two things:

1. sometimes fish just die

2. when a fish gets bloated that's usually dropsy which is fluid build up. But like I said - fish will also bloat after they die, so if you didn't notice it was bloated before (and it's not so bloated now that it's obvious) it may not mean anything at all.

Do you see any sign of injury on the fish?

CAJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes all goldfish, is dropsy contagious? Should I be worried about the other fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Does the dead fish have a notch in the nose? Hard to tell from the pictures.

The bloating could mean possible kidney failure or maybe a tumor. Might also be egg bound. Too many possibilities to make a judgement. You could always open up the fish and see what you find.

I would agree with Tula about the green. Usually it grows on an open wound on a fish.

Might be a good time to get some liquid water tests and check the water parameters.

CAJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the process of trying to sort this, so hopefully that will help as well thanks

Ask a Question