Help! First time testing my pond!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
First off, test your water supply and see if it is 10 also, if not you may have something in the pond that is rasing the PH that high, Like concrete cinder blocks, or the water coming in contact with any new cement. Once you figure out what got it that high in the first place one of the best ways to lower PH naturally is by filtering through peat moss, You can use muratic acid but it MUST be added very slowly and very carefully as not to drop more than .2 per 24-48 hour period. Again the first thing is find what is causing it do get that high and remove that source first or your just fighting the water and the fish will be greatly stressed.

Reaction score
I miss-spoke with my first post... The PH is 9.0....sorry. But, I know that is still too high. I went and bought a GH and KH test today and in the pond GH was 80 and the KH was 70. I know those are low. I'm refilling my pond right now, as I did about a 15% water change. My PH from the tap is 7.5, GH is 100 and KH is 100. Also, I bought a tape measure and calculated my pond to be about 6500 gallons.
I'm in the process of building a Skippy filter. My pond guy says that the only thing that will work is a sand filter, xchanging the sand for small gravel and backwashing....everyone has so many different opionions...what's a girl to do!!!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, I just read that on your other thread that noone can post to. Sand filter, Don't do it! Expensive, clogs fast, not reliable! bead filter is better and cost about the same. Skippy filter and DOC type filters are far better IMO as for removing waste and ease of maintaining. Bog filtering is another great option that is very good at filtering and not nearly as expensive as bead or sand filters. You have someting leaching in your pond causing the PH to climb, If your water source is 7.5 and your pond is 9.0 it coming from in the pond. Your GH and KH can be easily raised by adding crushed oyster shell, a great way to filter through Oyster shell is by placing a layer in the media of the skippy, or by putting some in a mesh bag and placing it where there is good water flow, You can get oyster shell at any feed and seed store for chickens and it will help keep the hardness in a good range. The hardness isn't that bad where they are now, maybe a little higher would be better but for sure not a problem at all right now. 9.0 PH is high but I think if you can get out what ever is making it climb it will settle out in a good range.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My well is 5.5 or so, my pond, filled with well water, climbed to 10ish ph, I added oyster shells, the plants in the bog grew, the ph slowly wandered down to 7.6 or so and has stayed there. I almost started treating my pond for the ph, but decided to let it settle on its own. The fish were doing fine, spawning, eating, fry growing.

I did not like the idea of trying to add acid, peat moss will bring it down, but it will brown your water.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my pond water with koi goes from a range of 8 to 9 and have had no harm come to my fish and the only thing I worry more about is the other readings and not so much the PH

Reaction score
I tested the PH this morning and it's now 8.0. I've read that it is usually lower in the mornings. I will test again tonight. KH and GH are still the same. I do have a stampcrete (concrete) patio next to the pond. There is at least 2 feet between the patio and the pond that has ground between it. Could that be the culprit??? If so, if I seal the patio (which I'm suppose to do annually and never have) will that help? I will get some oyster shell soon.

Thanks to everyone that has posted! Your help and concern are very important and welcome! So glad I joined this forum!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you get heavy rains or alot of rain it could run into the pond and cause your problem .I would also check to see what is in the sealer as that could leech into the pond also .I have concrete blocks near my pond but I use bees wax on them to seal them and buff them .You cannot do that because it would be to slippery .I don't have to walk on mine on that side of the pond it is just a sitting area .I

Reaction score
I will check the sealer, didn't even think of that. Maybe I will run a drainage pipe along the patio, that shouldn't be too difficult. Is there any way that the PH can go up due to way too much algae? I will read up on that...I sure hope it isn't my patio...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
algaecides have cancer causing agents in most of them and some states forbid the sale of them and you can use peroxide for algae and some solar salt also .You can get what is called a rain trough to put in the ground it is grey and made of plastic with grating on top for the water to run into it .It looks almost like a rain gutter on your house but much heavier duty .You see them a lot in front of garage doors to stop water from getting in .They are easy to install and are in lowes or home depot in where they sell the drainage pipes and plumbing supplies .

Reaction score
Thanks, sissy. My PH was 8.0 this morning and in the evening it was slightly higher but definately not 9.0. I read somewhere that the pea soup water can raise the PH. My KH is 70, so I will pick up some oyster shells tomorrow. I believe I'm on the right track....I hope I'm on the right track!
I'm putting together a Skippy filter, it's just about ready.....just don't know what to use for bio??? So many different ideas out there. I believe I need 8 or 9 cubic feet. Was thinking maybe I'll order from the Skippy web site....will cost 100.00 plus shipping :(
My water definately looked better today as I can see my fish at least 2 feet down :)
I added 20 bunches of Anacharis and 15 bunches of Hornwort and 2 water lilies last week. I love this forum!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would check out on here how to build your own it gives you the satisfaction of saying I did it myself and they are easy to build

Reaction score
Oh! I am building my own Skippy filter! And I've got the numb thumb from using a small handsaw to prove it! LOL!
I just wanted some input on the stuff to put in it, I think it's called bio media.... Skippy sells 2.3 cubic feet for 24.99. Should I go for that or find something else to use?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
baeya some folks use scrubbies that you get at the dollar store, others have used plastic pvc piping cut into 1" pieces, and others have used plastic fencing that you can get at home depot. All these are talked about in the diy section on the doc bio and skippy filter.

Ask a Question