help fish dying

LHB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-B
Country
United States
@LHB Have you tested your water parameters yet?

(off track here, but I love your kitty — looks like my Tonkinese)
She was a blue mink Tonkinese who died in her sleep at 17. She was a jewel. Where did you buy your Tonk? We'd like to get another.

LHB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-B
Country
United States
Can you list the exact chemicals you used? The antifungals and water clarifiers have been issues in the past. How were the stones cleaned? any chemicals used there?
BTW- Welcome to another Marylander!
Thanks for the help. Stones were power washed with plain water several days before they were actually used. Chemicals all came from Aquascape: Coldwater Beneficial Bacteria and Algaecide. Two weeks later the fish were transferred to the new pond.
I think the chem to use is Prime (need @WaterGardener backup on this!) but it'll just bind the ammonia and make it safe for your fish temporarily; you'll still have to change water or wait until the good bacteria can catch up. Again, I don't use any chems; it just seems like rolling the dice.
My old pond had only a fountain and all the fish did fine for 15 years. I never used anything on them and I had 7 koi which grew to 24" and then all the smaller offspring. 2 other species appeared on their own. As it began to leak, the predators where more able to get them. Despite moving 3 blue herons to wildlife rehab all the big koi disappeared in less than a week. Those birds were tough to wrestle to the ground after they got caught in my net!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@LHB All of our Tonks have come from different breeders in TX. Koda, L is a champagne mink (12), and Marshall, R is blue but don’t recall the other descriptive (15).
7747E039-DD25-4788-8ED6-8032120CC80D.jpeg

LHB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-B
Country
United States
If your pond is that new, that may be the reason the fish are having issues. There is not enough bacteria etc to deal with their waste. It takes a bit of time for a pond to cycle and be ready for a fish load.
Is there big waste load from fish that aren't being fed and are in cold water? We added low temperature beneficial bacteria to the pond before and after adding the fish.

LHB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-B
Country
United States
You did WHAT now?
HAHA yes I did! I threw a blanket over them and wrestled them to the ground so my husband could cut off the net. Then I put them in a dog crate for the wildlife folks. I fail to remember that I am a very small old woman. :unsure: Yes I do all the snakes also.

LHB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-B
Country
United States
@LHB All of our Tonks have come from different breeders in TX. Koda, L is a champagne mink (12), and Marshall, R is blue but don’t recall the other descriptive (15).View attachment 146187
I can tell by looking at him that he's probably a blue mink, but his eyes are a bit greener than Lily's were. Koda looks more like champaign point except for her eyes. Beautiful cats!

LHB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-B
Country
United States
HAHA yes I did! I threw a blanket over them and wrestled them to the ground so my husband could cut off the net. Then I put them in a dog crate for the wildlife folks. I fail to remember that I am a very small old woman. :unsure: Yes I do all the snakes also.
I have a thing for animals and my husband does NOT! Here's my hummingbird who comes to tell me that the feeder is empty and then stays to watch me mix it up.

Attachments

• hummingbird 1.jpeg
    hummingbird 1.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I threw a blanket over them and wrestled them to the ground so my husband could cut off the net. Then I put them in a dog crate for the wildlife folks.

Holy crap. I'd be afraid they would arrest me for accosting a protected species!

Ask a Question