help fish inactive

springknee

1000 gal pond 2200gph pump
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
My fish just hang out in one place at different levels of the pond. In the mornings they are active actually showing spawning behavior. but in the evenings I just about have to poke them before they move. Plants are doing find and algae is going away. Also for the last week my fish haven;t been eating so I have stopped feeding although I have witnessed them picking at the algae. I haven't noticed unusual gulping for air. Is this just normal dog days of summer behavior?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You may need to get a liquid test kit like said for ammonia and ph at least for now .There could also be a lack of oxygen if it is hot out .Do you have a thermometer to test the temp of the water

springknee

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
can't read the thermometer. But thats why I done a water change is to drop the temp. If they are still sluggish this weekend I'll take a water sample to the pond store.

Reaction score
My fish just hang out in one place at different levels of the pond. In the mornings they are active actually showing spawning behavior. but in the evenings I just about have to poke them before they move. Plants are doing find and algae is going away. Also for the last week my fish haven;t been eating so I have stopped feeding although I have witnessed them picking at the algae. I haven't noticed unusual gulping for air. Is this just normal dog days of summer behavior?

Laying on the bottom and not moving could be a sign of too much ammonia in the water. You really should spend a few bucks and get a good test kit, and NOT test strips. Without knowing what your levels are you are flying blind while your fish may be dying of a condition that could easily be remedied if you only knew.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
To answer your question it is not normal for them to act listless in the summer. I would suggest to improve your water movement right away and follow the advice from above. The only time your fish should be sluggish is going into the winter. One other question is have you had any type of predators in your area?
Sometime fish will "hide" by going to the bottom. If this is the case you may not have enough cover for them to feel safe.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Also, how deep is your pond? You said you couldn't read your thermometer [not sure, why?], but maybe the water is too warm for them.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Your breaking all the rules of fish keeping by not having a drop test kit , I'm suprised the shop you brought them from didnt tell you you needed one,
API do a good pond test kit cost £34.00 Uk it covers all the water perameters you'll need i;e Ammonia Nitrite Nitrate and Ph a 10% waterhange wont cut it either 40% would be better and remember to add dechlorinator/dechloromines liquid as the water goes back in.
Have you got an airpump on the pond if so add more airstones if not go out and buy one a pond airpump not an indoor pump .
Next when was the last time you did maintenance on your systems i;e filters and pond with the pond I mean any detritus from dead leaves etc if you havent then I'd thnk about setting about doing it , with a pond vacuum if you have one a net if you havent.(this is vitally important you do).
You may have got lucky in the fish telling you things are not right in the pond (l;earn to read your fish for signs of stress illness and disease).
Hopefully we can turn things around for you between us all

Dave

springknee

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
To answer your question it is not normal for them to act listless in the summer. I would suggest to improve your water movement right away and follow the advice from above. The only time your fish should be sluggish is going into the winter. One other question is have you had any type of predators in your area?
Sometime fish will "hide" by going to the bottom. If this is the case you may not have enough cover for them to feel safe.
Was having an owl problem. It got half of the fish before I figured out what is was and netted the pond. It's been a week since he got the last one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
wow, I'm sorry that happened to your fish.That definitely explains it. I would hide too if half my buddies got eaten up. When I had racoons visit the pond nightly my fish always "hid" at the slightest shadow and it took quite a while for them to act normal around me.
I live near a big airport. One of the planes recently caused a shadow to go over my pond for a split second. All the fish jumped at the same time thinking it was a large bird!

springknee

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Your breaking all the rules of fish keeping by not having a drop test kit , I'm suprised the shop you brought them from didnt tell you you needed one,
API do a good pond test kit cost £34.00 Uk it covers all the water perameters you'll need i;e Ammonia Nitrite Nitrate and Ph a 10% waterhange wont cut it either 40% would be better and remember to add dechlorinator/dechloromines liquid as the water goes back in.
Have you got an airpump on the pond if so add more airstones if not go out and buy one a pond airpump not an indoor pump .
Next when was the last time you did maintenance on your systems i;e filters and pond with the pond I mean any detritus from dead leaves etc if you havent then I'd thnk about setting about doing it , with a pond vacuum if you have one a net if you havent.(this is vitally important you do).
You may have got lucky in the fish telling you things are not right in the pond (l;earn to read your fish for signs of stress illness and disease).
Hopefully we can turn things around for you between us all

Dave
I had my water tested and the amonia was at .5 so I done a 2/3 water change

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
A 2/3 water change will help but you really need the drop test kits nines it appears in the US that people working in pet stores often dont have much of a clue as to what they are doing this is the general concensus on this site, here in the UK they have to sit two QATA exams bfore they can work in the fish trade.
What mantenance have you done on your pond and filters since last Fall ?
Sorry for the searching qquestions but its the only way to get to the bottom of your problem

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
pet store where I go give you a printout .They use an automated system that tests the pond water they just pour the pond water in and it does the test for them .First time I ever saw 1 like this ,Owner told me it was worth the cost because it was easier and faster for them .They do lots of tests for people with fish tanks .They give you your sterile tube back with your name and address on it and it matches the print out .So guess it depends on how up to date the business is

springknee

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
A 2/3 water change will help but you really need the drop test kits nines it appears in the US that people working in pet stores often dont have much of a clue as to what they are doing this is the general concensus on this site, here in the UK they have to sit two QATA exams bfore they can work in the fish trade.
What mantenance have you done on your pond and filters since last Fall ?
Sorry for the searching qquestions but its the only way to get to the bottom of your problem

Dave

The only test she done was the ammonia and she used the api drops. I guess I should have had her check more things.As far as maint.I try to do a 20% water change every couple of weeks. I haven't clean my filter tank except for when I drain for water change. Try to net out everything at least 2 times per week. The reason I haven't washed out the filter is I though that would ruin my bio filter. Recently I removed a lot of water cress from the filter and waterfall stream. Looking back when I did this it rinse a lot of debris into my pond. I have a API master test kit ordered for the future.I will take a water sample somewhere tomorrow and get a full test. My pond is approx 1000gals full of plants and my filter is a 100gal stock tank. I have been fighting string algae for about a month.Good news is fish are acting better today. Also forgot to mention there has been spawning activity for the last week and a half.

Ask a Question